1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fumes energy

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    Hi!

I'm working on problem, where I have to estimate energy, lost due to flue gases, i.e. some amount of natural gases burned in some time period, say [t0;t1].
    Burning is used for some material heating. I need to find energy, lost by gases (gases, after combustion), which goes out from flue. Heating is performed linearly, for example from point [0;100] to [2;400] (first coordinate is time in hours and second is temperature), so temperature dependence is like this:
    T(t)=150t+100​
    I was told that I have to calcule specific enthalpy change in order to calculate energy lost by fumes:
    Qf=MΔhf
    where M is mass of fumes and Δhf is specific enthalpy change.
    Also I know that specific enthalpy depends on temperature throuth relation:
    hf(T)=0.28T-4.6​

So, for specified heating schedule, enthalpy depends on temperature through this:
    hf(t)=0.28(150t+100)-4.6=42t+23.4​

I'm I write, when I calculate change of specific enthalpy by integrating in time interval function hf(t)?:

Δhf=∫(42t+23.4)dt​

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted