How much CO2 do humans produce through breathing?

In summary, The question is to calculate the annual production of CO2 (carbon dioxide) in metric tons by all humans in the world from breathing. The assumptions are 1) the composition of exhaled breath of an average adult is 4.0 percent CO2 by volume, 2) the temperature of the gas exhaled is 25 degrees C at one atmosphere total pressure, 3) the tidal volume of an average adult human is 500 mL or .50 L, 4) the average adult takes approximately 22 breaths per minute, and 5) the population of the Earth is 6.6 x 10^9 humans. Based on these assumptions, the estimated annual production of CO2 per year is
PhysicsinCalifornia
Hi, I have an assignment from my Chemistry class which is supposed to be done during my Spring break.

The question is to CALCULATE the annual production of CO2(carbon dioxide) in metric tons by all humans in the world from breathing.
The assumptions are:
1. The composition of exhaled breath of average adult is 4.0 percent CO2 by volume.
2. The temperature of the gas exhaled is 25 degrees C at one atmosphere total pressure.
3. The tidal volume of an average adult human is 500 mL or .50 L. The tidal volume is the amount of air that is exhaled during each breath. This is not the total capacity of the lung, which is approximately 5 to 6L depending on many variables.
4. Assume that the average adult takes approximately 22 breaths per minute.
5. The population of the Earth is 6.6 x 10^9 humans

I just got this, and I will show my work, but for those who already got the answer, I would like to know what you got to compare with my answer. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
My answer is roughly 2.75 * 10^12 kg = 2.75 * 10^9 metric tons of CO2 per year.

Tiger (too lazy to register)

Same here.

johny_doe said:
My answer is roughly 2.75 * 10^12 kg = 2.75 * 10^9 metric tons of CO2 per year.

Tiger (too lazy to register)

Did you use the equation [tex]C_8H_{18}(l) + O_2(g) \rightarrow CO_2(g) + H_2O(g)[/tex]?

PhysicsinCalifornia said:
Did you use the equation [tex]C_8H_{18}(l) + O_2(g) \rightarrow CO_2(g) + H_2O(g)[/tex]?

You don't need to use any equations. All the data that is required is given.

-Hoot:smile:

Hootenanny said:
You don't need to use any equations. All the data that is required is given.

-Hoot:smile:

Sorry, I had another question, and that equation dealt with the previous question. I didn't know that I didn't have to use this equation for this problem. In that case, what is the first step to finding how much one person produces CO2 in one breath? I thought that PV=nRT was involved but I don't know anything about consumability. Sorry, it's spring break for me, so my brain shut off this week:zzz:

1. What makes a question fun and interesting?

A fun and interesting question is one that sparks curiosity and engages the mind. It can be humorous, thought-provoking, or challenging, and often has no clear-cut answer.

2. Why are fun and interesting questions important?

Fun and interesting questions can help stimulate creativity and critical thinking skills. They can also be used to break the ice and promote social interaction.

3. How can I come up with fun and interesting questions?

Some ways to come up with fun and interesting questions are to think outside the box, use your imagination, and draw inspiration from everyday life and current events.

4. Are there any benefits to asking fun and interesting questions in a scientific setting?

Yes, asking fun and interesting questions in a scientific setting can lead to new discoveries and advancements in research. It can also make the learning process more engaging and enjoyable for both scientists and non-scientists.

5. Can fun and interesting questions be used in any field of science?

Yes, fun and interesting questions can be used in any field of science, from biology to physics to psychology. They can also be used in interdisciplinary studies to explore connections between different fields.