Fun, but difficult mechanics question

In summary: That's the summary for the conversation. In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of two stones being thrown vertically upward with the same speed at different times. It provided a formula for calculating the height of each stone at any given time and used this to determine the time when the two stones are at the same height. It also discussed the second part of the problem, finding the height at which the two stones pass each other, and provided a hint on how to approach it.
wd4gdz
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

A stone is thrown vertically upward at a speed of 45.50 m/s at time t=0. A second stone is thrown upward with the same speed 3.810 seconds later.

1) At what time are the two stones at the same height?
2) At what height do the two stones pass each other?
3) What is the upward speed of the second stone as they pass each other?

I'm pretty sure I could do #2 and #3, as long as I got some help first on #1.

--Billy

Physics news on Phys.org
wd4gdz said:
A stone is thrown vertically upward at a speed of 45.50 m/s at time t=0. A second stone is thrown upward with the same speed 3.810 seconds later.
At what time are the two stones at the same height?

h1 = v*t - .5*g*t^2
h2 = v*(t-3.81) - .5*g*(t-3.81)^2
if h1=h2 , then
t = v/g + 3.81/2

if we have g = 10.0 and v = 45.50 , we get
t=6.455 seconds

Here, Ill write it out fully for you (with units), since Rogerio already solved it:

[tex] d_1 = Vt + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

[tex] d_2 = V(t-3.810s) + \frac{1}{2}a(t-3.810s)^2 [/tex]

[tex] d_1 = d_2 [/tex]

[tex] Vt + \frac{1}{2}at^2 = V(t-3.810s) + \frac{1}{2}a(t-3.810s)^2 [/tex]

subbing in your values:

[tex] (45.5m/s)t - (4.9m/s^2)t^2 = (45.5m/s)(t-3.810s) - 4.9m/s^2(t-3.810s)^2 [/tex]

[tex] (45.5m/s)t - (4.9m/s^2)t^2 = ((45.5m/s)t - 173.4m) - 4.9m/s^2(t^2 - (7.62s)t + 14.5s^2) [/tex]

[tex] -(4.9m/s^2)t^2 = - 173.4m - 4.9m/s^2(t^2) + (37.3m/s)t - 71.05m [/tex]

[tex] 173.4m + 71.05m = (37.3m/s)t [/tex]

[tex] 244.45m = (37.3m/s)t [/tex]

[tex] \frac{244.45m}{37.3m/s} = t [/tex]

[tex] t = 6.55s [/tex]

I have this same problem. I got the first part, but I have no idea where to start for the second part. Can someone give me a hint?

If you did the first part, then you know how to write the height as a function of time. And you now have the time. Plug it in!

What is a "Fun, but difficult" mechanics question?

A "Fun, but difficult" mechanics question is a problem or concept related to mechanics that requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve. These types of questions often involve multiple steps and may have more than one correct solution.

Why are "Fun, but difficult" mechanics questions important to study?

"Fun, but difficult" mechanics questions are important to study because they help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These skills are essential for success in scientific fields and can be applied to various real-world situations.

How can I improve my ability to solve "Fun, but difficult" mechanics questions?

To improve your ability to solve "Fun, but difficult" mechanics questions, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of mechanics. Practice solving a variety of problems and seek help from teachers or peers when needed.

What are some common strategies for approaching "Fun, but difficult" mechanics questions?

Common strategies for approaching "Fun, but difficult" mechanics questions include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, drawing diagrams or sketches, and applying relevant equations or principles. It is also helpful to check your work and re-evaluate the problem if necessary.

Can "Fun, but difficult" mechanics questions be solved without prior knowledge or understanding of mechanics?

No, "Fun, but difficult" mechanics questions require a solid understanding of mechanics principles and concepts to be solved successfully. Without this knowledge, it may be challenging to comprehend the problem and come up with an appropriate solution.