Fun elevator problem, find accel

In summary: N to 900N when the elevator is accelerating. According to the problem, when the elevator starts accelerating, a force emerges in the direction of Mg, which is possible when the lift accelerates upwards with 'acceleration 'a'. This means that the man's weight is 800N when the scale reads 900N.
bigman8424
This is a really fun probl, I've been trying to get for a while:
A 600 N man stands on a bathroom scale on elevator. After, it starts moving the scale reads 900 N.
Find Acceleration (magnitude/direction)
EF = ma
weight - T = ma
wt - T = ma
(600 N)(9.8 m/sec2) - T = ma
i noticed i didn't have accleration,
Ft - meg = meae = -mea

900-600/900+600 = (1/5)g(9.8)
i got 1.96 m/sec2

does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing you see is that the man's mass goes from 600 to 900N. Therefore the elevator is accelerating upward.

Taking the case where the elevator is stationary.

F = mg
600 = m(9.8)
m = 61.2kg This is the mass of the man.

Where you are getting into some troubles is in setting up the exact situation.

Think about what you know and what you don't.

The first case you have is that the man's weight is 600N when the elevator isn't moving. The second thing you know is that when the elevator is moving, his weight increases to 900N. So you need to set up an equation to determine this.

I have not thought this through completely, but if the final scale reads 1.5 times greater, can you just assume that he is expirencing an acceleration 1.5 times greater and subtract [tex]a_g[/tex] from that number to find the elevator's acceleration?

Yes Candyman that is corect.

Actually what the wighing machine reads is the Normal force on the person standing on it.

When the lift was stationary , it must be reading 600 N . because N=Mg=600 N
But as per the problem when the lift starts accelerating , The reading increases, this means than N should increase , therefore a force has emerged in direction of Mg , this is possible when the lift accelerates upwards with "acceleration 'a' , then the pseudo force 'ma' adds to Mg.

Therefore final equation becomes:

Mg + Ma = 800

Oh i see, if the scale read zero, then he's free falling. ?

yep, then he must be falling down with acceleration 'g'!

B.J

1. How do you find the acceleration of an elevator?

The acceleration of an elevator can be found by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be calculated using the formula: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the change in time.

2. What is the equation for calculating acceleration in an elevator?

The equation for calculating acceleration in an elevator is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the change in time.

3. Can you use the same equation for calculating acceleration in both upward and downward elevator movements?

Yes, the same equation a = (vf - vi) / t can be used for calculating acceleration in both upward and downward elevator movements. However, the signs of the velocities may be different depending on the direction of the elevator's movement.

4. How does the mass of the elevator affect its acceleration?

The mass of the elevator does not directly affect its acceleration. The acceleration of an elevator is mainly determined by the external forces acting on it, such as the force of gravity and the force exerted by the elevator's motor. However, a heavier elevator may require more force to accelerate, which could affect the acceleration rate.

5. What other factors can affect the acceleration of an elevator?

Some other factors that can affect the acceleration of an elevator include the friction between the elevator and the shaft, the efficiency of the elevator's motor, and any external forces acting on the elevator (such as air resistance or wind). Additionally, the design and condition of the elevator's pulley system can also impact its acceleration.