Fun game: credit card roulette

Just did this in NYC with my friends this past weekend.

The game: You and your friends go out to dinner. At the end you collect everyone's credit card, put it into a napkin, and shake it up. You then ask the waitress/waiter to pull one credit card out. Who ever gets picked has to pay the entire bill. It provides a pretty good laugh for about 20 minutes when your friend gets smacked for an $800 restaurant bill. It's pretty easy to convince people to play too since most of the time probability says that you have a very good chance of winning.

Answers and Replies

$800 restaurant bill???

$800 restaurant bill???

That's nothing in NYC. My friend who I was visiting works on Wall St. He and his co-workers regularly play this game with $2-3K restaurant tabs.

That's nothing in NYC. My friend who I was visiting works on Wall St. He and his co-workers regularly play this game with $2-3K restaurant tabs.

There idiots wasting that kind of money on food. That's beyond absurd.

Like they care when they are making 6-7 figs.

Like they care when they are making 6-7 figs.

That doesn't make them any less stupid when it comes to spending their money. You do realize that if they ate out once a month (a low ball number), they are wasting 24 grand just on food a year (not including everyday meals).

I can take you to restaurants in Georgetown that don't cost half as much.

Something more interesting, IMO, is http://www.vanityfair.com/online/style/2008/10/naked-sushi.html" [Broken].

I had a take home mid term that weekend and couldn't go down to the club that was hosting this. I really wanted to go too...

http://travelblog.bcaa.com/wp-content/naked-food.jpg

I have to find when this comes back around DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it's usually a "business" dinner and company pays for it.

Nah they use their own credit cards. That's what makes it more fun. It's still fun to do even if the tab isn't that expensive.

You can get a great chicken fried steak around here for $8 and I'll pay. Sheeeshhh... its just food.

$800 on a restaurant bill? How many people were eating? Sheesh.

The girl looks a little raw for my taste, Cyrus.

Mmm. Chicken fried steak.

I wonder if somebody could make me steak fried chicken. I bet that would be delicious.

$800 on a restaurant bill? How many people were eating? Sheesh.

The girl looks a little raw for my taste, Cyrus.

Mmm. Chicken fried steak.

I wonder if somebody could make me steak fried chicken. I bet that would be delicious.

A good Italian restaurant in NYC is easily $25-40 a plate. Throw in a couple of bottles of wine, appetizer, tax, and tip--the bill was easily over $100 a person. We didn't even go to a high end restaurant.

Steak fried chicken. Hmmmm. Let me work on that recipe and I'll get back to you. Does sound delicious.

A good Italian restaurant in NYC is easily $25-40 a plate. Throw in a couple of bottles of wine, appetizer, tax, and tip--the bill was easily over $100 a person. We didn't even go to a high end restaurant.

Ok, let's do some math. $25 a plate for 7 people is $175. Assume everyone gets one appetizer that typically runs $10 each $245. We get 5 bottles of wine at $50 bucks each (This is a typical $20 bottle at a wine store. Restaurants double prices on all wines and beer): $495. Tip (15%), and tax (4.5%): $591

You are still WAY short ($200) of $800 my friend. And I've been very generous and fair in making up these numbers too. (I used prices form places I eat that have similar price points).

A $25 dollar a plate restaurant is a high end restaurant. Hell, that guy with that http://www.motorestaurant.com/" restaurant in Chicago is only $200 a person. $2k in NYC? As Eddie Murphy said to balky in Beverly Hills Cop III, "Get the F**** out of here" "No I cannot!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been to a five star restaurant all of once, in Cinci (not counting any chains that may be considered five star). The plates were only about $20 average, the steaks ranged up to $40 tops I think.

I've been to fairly nice restaurants with a table of up to a dozen people and still never seen a bill top $500.

Cyrus said:
As Eddie Murphy said to balky in Beverly Hills Cop III, "Get the F**** out of here" "No I cannot!"
Thank you. I needed that.

We get 5 bottles of wine at $50 bucks each (This is a typical $20 bottle at a wine store. Restaurants double prices on all wines and beer):

$50 bottle of wine is considered cheap, a lot of places will sell individual bottles for $200 or more...it's not because the wine is so much better, it's a status symbol to show that money is no object to you. This is how people in NY think.

it's a status symbol to show that money is no object to you. This is how people in NY think.
This is how SOME people who happen to be YOUR friends think. That is fine, you have your own views, other people are allowed to think that spending $1k on a meal is not a good idea. I did a couple of time go to restaurants where you end up significantly above $100 per person. I do not think it is worth.

I think 90% of America would agree that spending $1k on a single meal for under 20 people is, while possible on quite special occasions, not something that you every other day because it sounds fun.

This is how SOME people who happen to be YOUR friends think. That is fine, you have your own views, other people are allowed to think that spending $1k on a meal is not a good idea. I did a couple of time go to restaurants where you end up significantly above $100 per person. I do not think it is worth.

I didn't say that my friends think this way...it's just that there are a lot of rich people in NY who do think this way, enough of them that restaurants exist to cater to them. I have a friend who waited tables in NY and he has gotten $800 TIPS from individual tables...

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I think 90% of America would agree that spending $1k on a single meal for under 20 people is, while possible on quite special occasions, not something that you every other day because it sounds fun.
$1000 for 20 people is $50 per person. That sounds pretty normal to me. The lamb rack I had last night was $25 for just the entree, never mind the drinks, appetizers and dessert.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Without knowing how many people there are in the party, you are going off half-cocked.

Without knowing how many people there are in the party, you are going off half-cocked.

Ok, fair enough. How many people were there for them to spend $2k gravennewworld?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Ok, fair enough. How many people were there for them to spend $2k gravennewworld?

And how long were they there? It is not hard to run up a bill if you're there for five hours.

And how long were they there? It is not hard to run up a bill if you're there for five hours.

Five hours?...jeez that's one long dinner party.

After reading that initial post, I knew this would turn into a debate about the cost of eating out and not about how fun that game would be. That restaurant must be making a 500%+ profit.
I have a friend who waited tables in NY and he has gotten $800 TIPS from individual tables...
Wow, I think I need to change careers.
Five hours? So you go in for lunch and stay till dinner?

Five hours? So you go in for lunch and stay till dinner?
Show up. Have a drink and chat. Order. Have an appetizer, another drink, and chat some more. Soup and/or salad (possibly two seperate phases). Entree. After dinner drink while considering dessert. Dessert and coffee. Another cup or two of coffee for after dinner conversation.
Three or four might be a bit more realistic though I have myself stayed at an all night cafe until they started serving breakfast on more than one occasion.