Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fun game: credit card roulette

Tags:
  1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    Just did this in NYC with my friends this past weekend.

The game: You and your friends go out to dinner. At the end you collect everyone's credit card, put it into a napkin, and shake it up. You then ask the waitress/waiter to pull one credit card out. Who ever gets picked has to pay the entire bill. It provides a pretty good laugh for about 20 minutes when your friend gets smacked for an $800 restaurant bill. It's pretty easy to convince people to play too since most of the time probability says that you have a very good chance of winning.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2
    $800 restaurant bill???

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3
    That's nothing in NYC. My friend who I was visiting works on Wall St. He and his co-workers regularly play this game with $2-3K restaurant tabs.

5. Jul 27, 2009 #4
    There idiots wasting that kind of money on food. That's beyond absurd.

6. Jul 27, 2009 #5
    Like they care when they are making 6-7 figs.

7. Jul 27, 2009 #6
    That doesn't make them any less stupid when it comes to spending their money. You do realize that if they ate out once a month (a low ball number), they are wasting 24 grand just on food a year (not including everyday meals).

I can take you to restaurants in Georgetown that don't cost half as much.

Something more interesting, IMO, is http://www.vanityfair.com/online/style/2008/10/naked-sushi.html" [Broken].

I had a take home mid term that weekend and couldn't go down to the club that was hosting this. I really wanted to go too...

http://travelblog.bcaa.com/wp-content/naked-food.jpg

I have to find when this comes back around DC.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Jul 27, 2009 #7
    I'm sure it's usually a "business" dinner and company pays for it.

9. Jul 27, 2009 #8
    Nah they use their own credit cards. That's what makes it more fun. It's still fun to do even if the tab isn't that expensive.

10. Jul 27, 2009 #9
    You can get a great chicken fried steak around here for $8 and I'll pay. Sheeeshhh... its just food.

11. Jul 27, 2009 #10
    $800 on a restaurant bill? How many people were eating? Sheesh.

The girl looks a little raw for my taste, Cyrus.

Mmm. Chicken fried steak.

I wonder if somebody could make me steak fried chicken. I bet that would be delicious.

12. Jul 27, 2009 #11

A good Italian restaurant in NYC is easily $25-40 a plate. Throw in a couple of bottles of wine, appetizer, tax, and tip--the bill was easily over $100 a person. We didn't even go to a high end restaurant.

13. Jul 27, 2009 #12
    Steak fried chicken. Hmmmm. Let me work on that recipe and I'll get back to you. Does sound delicious.

14. Jul 27, 2009 #13

Ok, let's do some math. $25 a plate for 7 people is $175. Assume everyone gets one appetizer that typically runs $10 each $245. We get 5 bottles of wine at $50 bucks each (This is a typical $20 bottle at a wine store. Restaurants double prices on all wines and beer): $495. Tip (15%), and tax (4.5%): $591

You are still WAY short ($200) of $800 my friend. And I've been very generous and fair in making up these numbers too. (I used prices form places I eat that have similar price points).

A $25 dollar a plate restaurant is a high end restaurant. Hell, that guy with that http://www.motorestaurant.com/" restaurant in Chicago is only $200 a person. $2k in NYC? As Eddie Murphy said to balky in Beverly Hills Cop III, "Get the F**** out of here" "No I cannot!"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  15. Jul 27, 2009 #14
    I've been to a five star restaurant all of once, in Cinci (not counting any chains that may be considered five star). The plates were only about $20 average, the steaks ranged up to $40 tops I think.

I've been to fairly nice restaurants with a table of up to a dozen people and still never seen a bill top $500.

Thank you. I needed that.

16. Jul 27, 2009 #15
    $50 bottle of wine is considered cheap, a lot of places will sell individual bottles for $200 or more...it's not because the wine is so much better, it's a status symbol to show that money is no object to you. This is how people in NY think.

17. Jul 27, 2009 #16
    This is how SOME people who happen to be YOUR friends think. That is fine, you have your own views, other people are allowed to think that spending $1k on a meal is not a good idea. I did a couple of time go to restaurants where you end up significantly above $100 per person. I do not think it is worth.

18. Jul 27, 2009 #17
    I think 90% of America would agree that spending $1k on a single meal for under 20 people is, while possible on quite special occasions, not something that you every other day because it sounds fun.

19. Jul 27, 2009 #18
    I didn't say that my friends think this way...it's just that there are a lot of rich people in NY who do think this way, enough of them that restaurants exist to cater to them. I have a friend who waited tables in NY and he has gotten $800 TIPS from individual tables...

20. Jul 27, 2009 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

$1000 for 20 people is $50 per person. That sounds pretty normal to me. The lamb rack I had last night was $25 for just the entree, never mind the drinks, appetizers and dessert.

21. Jul 27, 2009 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Without knowing how many people there are in the party, you are going off half-cocked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook