Fun hw question I can't seem to get

• Thread starter rocketboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, the conversation is about a math problem where each letter represents a different digit and the goal is to find the values of the letters in the addition problem SEND + MORE = MONEY. The conversation discusses the possible values of the letters and the steps taken to solve the problem, ultimately leading to the solution of 9567 + 1085 = 10652.
rocketboy
Alright, this one has been bugging me for awhile now.

"In the following addition, each letter represents a different digit. Find the values of the letters."

.. S E N D periods are just there to push the "S E N D" over.
+ M O R E
---------
M O N E Y

Here's what I have so far:
1) M must = 1
2) Thus O must = 0, because S + M must generate a remainder, yet the numbers S and M can't add to more than 10 because M = 1, and even if there was a carried place value, it would add to 11 which can't be true because there can only be one 1 value.
3) Thus S = either 8 or 9; it can equal 8 if E + O generates a remainder, which it can only if E = 9. But since O = 0, N can't also be 0, so I decided that it can't generate a remainder, and thus S = 9. (Sorry for the ambiguous wording there.)
4)Since E can't = N, and since O = 0, the N + R has to produce a remainder so that the carried place value can be added to E (in the E + O = N column) to make the result of N different from E.

Somehow whenever I work it out, I always get R to equal 9, but it can't because that is what S is equal to. AAAAAAHHHH.

Am I on the right track? I MUST have done something wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HAHAHAH I AM VICTORIOUS!

If you want the answer highlight below this text, but not if you are so into the question and want to figure it out yourself! (It's very rewarding when you do).

9567 + 1085 = 10652

Hi there,

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach to solving this puzzle. However, there are a couple of things that need to be clarified.

First, it is not necessary for M to equal 1. In fact, it can be any number from 0-9. This is because the value of M does not affect the outcome of the addition. For example, if M = 2, the equation would be:

.. S E N D
+ M O R E
---------
M O N E Y

This would still result in the same values for S, E, N, D, O, R, and Y.

Second, your reasoning for S = 9 is correct. However, your reasoning for R = 9 is incorrect. Remember, the goal is for each letter to represent a different digit. Therefore, R cannot be equal to 9 because S is already equal to 9. So, you must find a different value for R that still satisfies the equation.

One approach you can take is to start by assigning values to the letters that have the most restrictions. In this case, it would be O and S. From your work, we know that S = 9 and O = 0. Now, let's look at the carryover values in the equation:

.. 9 E N D
+ 0 0 R E
---------
0 N E Y

Since O = 0, there is no carryover value from the ones place. This means that the carried value from the tens place must be 1. This carried value can only come from the sum of E + R + 1. So, E + R must be equal to 9 (since we already know that S = 9). This means that the possible values for E and R are 4 and 5, or 5 and 4.

Let's try both possibilities:

1) If E = 4 and R = 5, the equation would be:

.. 9 4 N D
+ 0 0 5 4
-----------
0 N 4 Y

From here, we can see that N = 5 (since there is a carryover from the ones place) and D = 6 (since 4 + 5 = 9). However, this creates a problem with the value of Y. Since N = 5, Y must be equal to 0

1. What is the purpose of this fun homework question?

The purpose of this fun homework question is to challenge students to think critically and creatively while also making learning enjoyable.

2. How can I approach this question if I'm stuck?

If you're stuck on this question, try breaking it down into smaller parts and approach each part individually. You can also ask for help from a classmate or teacher.

3. What if I can't find the answer to this question?

If you are unable to find the answer to this question, don't worry! The point of this question is not to get the correct answer, but to exercise your problem-solving skills and think outside the box. Just make sure to explain your thought process and reasoning in your answer.

4. Can I use outside resources to help me with this question?

Yes, you can use outside resources such as textbooks, articles, or online sources to help you with this question. However, make sure to cite your sources and do not copy the answer directly from them.

5. Is there a right or wrong answer to this question?

There may not be a definitive right or wrong answer to this question, as it is meant to be open-ended and encourage creative thinking. However, make sure to thoroughly explain your answer and provide evidence to support your reasoning.