Building a Safe and Efficient Induction Heater Circuit: Tips and Tricks

In summary, this personal project is UL safety compliant if you are running it off of a 12v car battery.
gary350
TL;DR Summary
FUN induction heater circuit.
If you have not built an induction heater yet it is a fun project. Build the small circuit with 6 yellow capacitors first.

Induction heater is a fun project. I built a small induction heater then I wanted a more powerful one. A small unit is so simple you can build it in about 2 hours work. A larger more powerful unit will take longer. If you take your induction camping it works great to run it on your 12v car battery.

I built my largest induction heater from a microwave oven transformer. Remove the 2000v secondary coil, replace it with enough #12 solid copper wire to get 12v to 15vdc. I have about 15 MOTs they all have 100 turns on the primary coil. Math is easy for the secondary coil running on 120vac on the primary = about .833 vac per turn on the secondary.

I have not experimented with a flat induction coil the value must be 2. uh minimum value. Buy a, resistor, capacitor, inductor, meter about $35. on ebay to test your coils. The choke coil needs to be large enough not to saturate or it will stop working at a certain power range then current suddenly goes to maximum then mosfets explode. Very low internal mosfet resistance works best it prevents mosfets from over heating easy.

Here is my induction circuit, leave off the transformers so you can run it on a car battery if that is what you want. My small induction heater will heat a 1/4" steel rod red hot in about 3 minutes. My 1400w induction heater heats a 1/4" steel rod red hot in 7 seconds. You don't need 1400w to heat food it will burn before food has time to cook.

My induction heaters all have the same circuit drawing for the exception of larger power supplies and larger L2 choke coil for higher power units. If you change #10 circuit copper wire to a smaller wire skin effect goes up and the circuit efficiency goes down. My induction heat is several times smaller than the 1400w power supply as you can see in the photos.

Be sure to connect the caps in a box shape like a Rail Gun cap bank charge and discharge is much faster. Build the small unit with the 6 yellow color caps first. I use insulated Romex solid copper house wire. Be sure to use insulated wire if you accidently touch the osc coil with metal osc stops then 1 of the mosfets will explode.

You can build the small circuit for $15. The larger circuit only cost be extra for a 100a bridge rectifier and the meter. I salvage parts from old TV and old computer power supplies. 10 mosfets are $6 free shipping on ebay if you order from a seller in China.
100_6362.JPG
100_6779.JPG
100_6780.JPG
100_6781.JPG
100_6778.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not able to open your attachments. It's good that you are running this off of a safe low voltage like 12V. You do have a fuse in series between the battery and your device, right?

I accidently posted this 2 times not sure what happened?????

gary350 said:
I accidently posted this 2 times not sure what happened?????
Ah, I can see the schematic now. How come it shows AC Mains input at the left if you are running it off of a battery?

berkeman said:
Ah, I can see the schematic now. How come it shows AC Mains input at the left if you are running it off of a battery?
The circuit with the yellow color caps is for a 12v car battery or a 12v to 15v DC power supply. The larger induction heater circuit uses a transformer to run on 120vac house wall current. Both units will run on a car battery but on the work bench I use 120vac to a transformer to get 15vdc up to 30vdc.

gary350 said:
The larger induction heater circuit uses a transformer to run on 120vac house wall current.
Which UL safety standard did you design that version to comply with?

berkeman said:
Which UL safety standard did you design that version to comply with?
The final version of the unit needs to be inside a protective case so you can't stick you finger in it and get shocked on 15vdc.

gary350 said:
The final version of the unit needs to be inside a protective case so you can't stick you finger in it and get shocked on 15vdc.
That's not what I asked. 15V is not a shock hazard.

Thread is closed temporarily for Moderation. Please send me a PM with your full schematic showing the AC Mains connections and tell me what construction details are important to make this personal project UL safety compliant. Thanks.

What is a FUN induction heater circuit?

A FUN induction heater circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses electromagnetic induction to generate heat in a conductive material. It is often used for heating metals and other materials in industrial and scientific applications.

How does a FUN induction heater circuit work?

The circuit works by passing a high-frequency alternating current through a coil, which creates a rapidly changing magnetic field. This magnetic field induces eddy currents in a nearby conductive material, causing it to heat up due to resistance. The heat generated can be controlled by adjusting the frequency and power of the current.

What are the advantages of using a FUN induction heater circuit?

One advantage is that it does not require direct contact with the material being heated, making it a safe and efficient heating method. It also allows for precise control of temperature and can heat materials quickly and evenly. Additionally, it does not produce any open flames or emissions, making it environmentally friendly.

What materials can be heated using a FUN induction heater circuit?

A FUN induction heater circuit can heat a wide range of conductive materials, including metals such as iron, copper, and aluminum, as well as non-metallic materials like graphite and carbon. It is commonly used in applications such as soldering, melting, and annealing.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a FUN induction heater circuit?

Yes, it is important to use caution when working with high-frequency currents and to follow proper safety procedures. Protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, should be worn when handling hot materials. It is also important to ensure that the circuit is properly grounded and that the power supply is disconnected before making any adjustments or repairs.