Optical Illusions - Enjoy Creative & Fun Illusions

In summary, the conversation discussed the phenomenon of objects appearing either convex or concave in photos, similar to the hollow-face illusion. The participants also mentioned similar occurrences in hilly or mountainous views and shared links to various optical illusions. One participant even recreated an illusion in vector and played around with different colors. Overall, the conversation was centered around the topic of optical illusions and their mesmerizing effects.
berkeman
Mentor

• Love
Likes DaveE, davenn and 256bits
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a classic, same happens with Moon craters that look either convex or concave on photos. And a bit similar to the hollow-face illusion.

Likes davenn, dlgoff and berkeman
The bowls were easy.
Finally, it took several seconds to get the top left tray to flip .

Borek said:
That's a classic, same happens with Moon craters that look either convex or concave on photos.
Yeah, I have always found that one screwy on the eyes/brain
Also happens on hilly/mountains views, on, say on google earth

Illusion_of_the_year_2017_v.gif

http://illusionoftheyear.com/cat/top-10-finalists/2021/
If you hover over the "Illusions" tab, it goes back to 2005.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto, Ibix, BillTre and 2 others
I saw a tiny fuzzy version of this and I liked it so much I redrew it in vector and added some randomness, it's very simple but mesmerising. I tried it in different colours but monotone looks best, being vector it can be printed at any size. Enjoy.

Attachments

• spiral square.pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 90
  • sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 77
Another one redrawn, not vector. Simple is always best.

Attachments

• disappearing dots I.jpg
    disappearing dots I.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 70
Likes Keith_McClary

1. What are optical illusions?

Optical illusions are visual images or objects that deceive the brain into perceiving something that is not actually there. They can be created through various techniques such as manipulating colors, shapes, or patterns, and can trick our brains into seeing movement, depth, or even nonexistent objects.

2. How do optical illusions work?

Optical illusions work by exploiting the way our brains interpret visual information. Our eyes gather information about the world around us, but it is our brain that processes and interprets this information. When faced with an optical illusion, our brain tries to make sense of the conflicting information it is receiving, resulting in a perception that is different from reality.

3. Why do some people see optical illusions differently?

Different people may perceive optical illusions differently because of differences in their brain's processing and interpretation of visual information. Factors such as age, gender, and past experiences can also influence how individuals perceive optical illusions.

4. Are all optical illusions the same?

No, there are various types of optical illusions, including geometric, ambiguous, and cognitive illusions. Each type works in a different way and can create different effects on the brain. Additionally, there are also cultural and individual differences in how people perceive and interpret optical illusions.

5. Are optical illusions only used for entertainment purposes?

No, optical illusions have been studied by scientists and psychologists for decades and have been used to better understand the brain's perception and processing of visual information. They also have practical applications in fields such as art, design, and advertising.