Fun question: Can this fish swim?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a fish swimming in a tank that is completely filled with water and closed on all sides. It is noted that water is difficult to compress, so the fish should not be able to move. However, the idea of dissolved air in the water and the ability for water to move without changing its volume is raised. The conversation also mentions that fish at the bottom of the Mariana Trench can swim despite the depth of water above them. The concept of the fish contracting and expanding its fin to create movement is also discussed. Ultimately, it is concluded that the fish should be able to move in a closed tank due to the continuous process of water swapping and the fact that water can move without changing its volume
boneh3ad said:
I am not actually sure what you are talking about, but if the flow is inviscid and incompressible (as I discussed in the statement you quoted), then there would be no such "loss of efficiency". There is no mechanism for dissipation.
I mean efficiency in the fish's movement forward. I might be slightly more difficult for the fish to move in a very small volume of water as opposed to an unbounded volume, but it will certainly be able to move.

boneh3ad said:
The water wouldn't just go to one end of the tank either. After all, it can't go back there and just pile up; it has to go somewhere.
Yes. It fills the space vacated by the fish.

A one "fish-unit" volume of fish moves to one end of the tank, while a one" fish-unit" volume of water moves to the other.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I mean efficiency in the fish's movement forward. I might be slightly more difficult for the fish to move in a very small volume of water as opposed to an unbounded volume, but it will certainly be able to move.Yes. It fills the space vacated by the fish.

A one "fish-unit" volume of fish moves to one end of the tank, while a one" fish-unit" volume of water moves to the other.

Except it doesn't. A fish moving doesn't just move the water behind it. It moves all of the water in front of an around it as well, so the actual "vacancy" could just as easily be argued to be out in front of the fish. Of course no such vacancy exists because this is a continuous medium, and since it is incompressible, the effects of water moving in one location are immediately felt at every other location in the fluid.

boneh3ad said:
Except it doesn't. A fish moving doesn't just move the water behind it. It moves all of the water in front of an around it as well, so the actual "vacancy" could just as easily be argued to be out in front of the fish.
The vacancy cannot be in front of the fish; it is the fish.

Again: A one "fish-unit" volume of fish moves to one end of the tank, while a one" fish-unit" volume of water moves to the other.

DaveC426913 said:
The vacancy cannot be in front of the fish; it is the fish.

Again: A one "fish-unit" volume of fish moves to one end of the tank, while a one" fish-unit" volume of water moves to the other.

And that nut of fish move, and water wills in, and then the water behind that fills in, and eventually there's just a wall. So the water above and below along the wall fills that space in. Then the water along the top and bottom fills that space in. Then along the front wall. The the water in front of the fish. Now your vacancy is in front of the fish.

Of course that's not really how it all works, as it must START with the assumption that the fish moves, which is not necessarily true here. It doesn't prove that assumption at all.

Instead, the fish could flap its tail and simply propel water backward, setting up the aforementioned recirculating, and not going anywhere since that thrust would move him exactly as fast as the oncoming water stream.

boneh3ad said:
Instead, the fish could flap its tail and simply propel water backward, setting up the aforementioned recirculating, and not going anywhere since that thrust would move him exactly as fast as the oncoming water stream.
Newton's third law still applies, surely. If the water is propelled backward, the fish moves forward. And not just relative to the water.

See this reference regarding the relative importance of viscous effects vs inertial effects in fish propulsion:

https://books.google.com/books?id=w...onepage&q=inviscid propulsion of fish&f=false

Fish.PNG

Now that we have dispensed with the issue of viscous vs inertial (see my previous post), we can focus on the main issues for the inviscid case. In my judgment, there are two fluid dynamic features that need to be considered:
1. Maintaining steady movement of the fish after it has propelled itself to a certain (constant) speed
2. Propulsion (acceleration) action of the fish to generate forward thrust

Maintaining steady constant speed movement of the fish has been addressed in my post #22, where the steady inviscid solution for flow past a sphere is presented. This flow will prevail as long as the fish (sphere) is not close to the leading or trailing faces of the tank. It also illustrates DaveC436913's concept of the streamlines separating at the leading edge of the fish (to make room for the fish) and rejoining beyond the trailing edge of the fish. Note also that, for the case of inviscid flow, the drag force on the fish is zero. So, in real life, only a small forward force is required to maintain the speed against the (small) viscous drag.

So, now, the only thing left to address is generation of forward thrust. For this, imagine that the fish is held in place by an externally applied force, but that the fish is doing whatever is necessary to try to paddle forward. The question is "does the circulation flow created by this paddling create a pressure distribution on the surface of the fish (and fins) that results in (a) net forward thrust or (b) total cancellation of forward thrust?" The situation here is different from the passive case where the fish is just moving forward without any thrust. In this case, the fish itself is adding energy to the system by doing work on the water. For a very large tank, it appears to me that the backward flow in close proximity to the fish is very strong, but the return circulation from the front of the fish will be distributed over a much larger cross section of the tank, and the force of that return flow on the fish will be much less. So, I would conclude that positive forward thrust would definitely be achievable.

Likes member 428835
jbriggs444 said:
Newton's third law still applies, surely. If the water is propelled backward, the fish moves forward. And not just relative to the water.

That is certainly a good point, and I think it does a fine job of illustrating why I need to get more sleep.