Solving Fun Ski Area Problem: 3.67x10^7 W

• Thread starter Vanessa23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Fun
In summary, the problem involves determining the motor power needed for a T-bar tow in a new ski area, considering factors such as the maximum number of skiers, slope inclination, and coefficient of kinetic friction. After attempting to solve the problem using equations, the program is not accepting the answer and the student is unsure of where they went wrong.
Vanessa23
[SOLVED] Fun ski area problem

Homework Statement

A T-bar tow is planned in a new ski area. At anyone time, it will be required, to pull a maximum of 82 skiers up a 609-m slope inclined at 14.1° above the horizontal at a speed of 2.37 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the skiers skis and the snow is typically 0.0600. As the manager of the facility, what motor power should you request of the construction contractor if the mass of the average skier is 66.0 kg. Assume you want to be ready for any emergency and will order a motor whose power rating is 54.0 percent larger than the bare minimum.

Homework Equations

N = mg cosθ
and
F = mg (sinθ + μcosθ)
and
Po = Fv

so solve for P in: P = (Po + .54 Po)N

The Attempt at a Solution

P=((66.0*82*g)*(sinΘ + .06cosΘ))*2.37) +
(.54)*((66.0*82*g)*(sinΘ + .06cosΘ))*2.37)

I then multiply the answer for P times (66.0*g*cosΘ)
Answer=3.67x10^7 W

The program we submit our answers to says that my answer is wrong. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanessa23 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

P=((66.0*82*g)*(sinΘ + .06cosΘ))*2.37) +
(.54)*((66.0*82*g)*(sinΘ + .06cosΘ))*2.37)
This seems reasonable.

I then multiply the answer for P times (66.0*g*cosΘ)
Why?? P is your answer.

Our professor went over the problem in class and said we should multiply it by N and N is mg*cos(theta). He said that when we figure out N we should use the mass of only one skier.

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me at all. It won't even have the correct units.

1. What is the purpose of solving the Fun Ski Area problem?

The purpose of solving the Fun Ski Area problem is to determine the amount of power (in watts) required to operate the ski lifts, which can then be used to plan and budget for the energy usage of the ski area.

2. How is the power (3.67x10^7 W) calculated for the Fun Ski Area problem?

The power for the Fun Ski Area problem is calculated using the formula P = W/t, where P is power (in watts), W is work (in joules), and t is time (in seconds). In this case, the work is equal to the amount of energy used to operate the ski lifts, and the time is the duration of their operation.

3. Why is the power for the Fun Ski Area problem expressed in scientific notation?

The power for the Fun Ski Area problem is expressed in scientific notation (3.67x10^7 W) because it is a very large number. Scientific notation is a way of representing numbers that are either very large or very small, making them easier to read and work with in mathematical calculations.

4. How does solving the Fun Ski Area problem impact the environment?

Solving the Fun Ski Area problem can have a significant impact on the environment by helping to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions. By accurately calculating the power required to operate the ski lifts, the ski area can make more informed decisions about energy usage and potentially implement more sustainable practices.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when solving the Fun Ski Area problem?

Yes, there are other factors that should be considered when solving the Fun Ski Area problem, such as the efficiency of the ski lifts, the type of energy used (e.g. renewable vs. non-renewable), and any potential energy-saving measures that could be implemented. These factors can impact the accuracy of the calculation and the overall impact on the environment.