How do periods and masses relate in oscillating springs?

In summary: Also, please don't just post random statements in our forums without context or explanation.In summary, the conversation centers around solving a problem involving phase constant and the attempt at a solution involves finding the relevant equation and considering the effect of adding mass on the period of oscillation.
littlejon

Homework Statement

phys 1.png

Homework Equations

phase constant: y= Asin(wt +phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

2*sin(360) =0
How does one approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
littlejon said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 76173

Homework Equations

phase constant: y= Asin(wt +phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

2*sin(360) =0
How does one approach this problem?

Welcome to the PF.

The Relevant Equation that you list is not applicable. Look for an equation that relates the period of oscillation of a spring+mass system to the spring constant K and the mass m. (or else just derive the equation yourself from what you know about how springs and masses work...) :-)

Now that I look at it closely. The answer has got to be C because each oscillation is the same as the previous.

littlejon said:
Now that I look at it closely. The answer has got to be C because each oscillation is the same as the previous.

I don't think so. Adding mass will slow down the oscillations...

I see so the answer has got to be E since we know its the same cylinder it would reduce the time by twice.

littlejon said:
I see so the answer has got to be E since we know its the same cylinder it would reduce the time by twice.
No. You need the equation which relates period and mass.

1. What are fun springs that oscillate?

Fun springs that oscillate are toys or objects that have a spring mechanism that allows them to bounce and move up and down in a repeating motion.

2. How do fun springs that oscillate work?

Fun springs that oscillate work by utilizing the potential energy stored in the spring when it is compressed or stretched. This energy is then released and converted into kinetic energy, causing the spring to bounce up and down in an oscillating motion.

3. What materials are fun springs that oscillate made of?

Fun springs that oscillate can be made of different materials, such as metal, plastic, or rubber. The type of material used can affect the spring's durability and bouncing ability.

4. What are some examples of fun springs that oscillate?

Some common examples of fun springs that oscillate include Slinky toys, pogo sticks, and spring-loaded doorstops. They can also be found in various novelty items and party favors.

5. Are there any scientific applications for fun springs that oscillate?

While fun springs that oscillate are primarily used as toys, they also have scientific applications. They can be used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as potential and kinetic energy, simple harmonic motion, and the relationship between force and displacement. They can also be used in engineering to design and test springs for various purposes.