What can you do for fun with a multimeter?

• Thread starter DrClapeyron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, there are many fun things to do with a digital multimeter, such as measuring the current through your body, testing the purity of water, measuring the voltage of batteries, designing electronic circuits, and measuring resistance in various situations. Other fun activities include using the multimeter to detect static electricity and using it to attract small pieces of paper. However, caution should be taken to avoid damaging the multimeter, especially when dealing with water.
DrClapeyron
So I just bought a digital multimeter, plugged it into a trailer outlet and that's been about it. When I get off work in the coming weeks I'll use it on my car. So I ask, are there any fun things to do with a multimeter?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been an EE student for four years...and I still can't think of a good answer.

connect yourself to a 12V battery and measure the current through your body.

measure the magnetic induction from waving spinning a strong magnet in a coil of some wire.

test the purity of water by measuring the current across two ends of an insulated cup

Measure the voltage of every battery in your house and sort them in order of greatest to least voltage. Discard any that are below their nominal voltage.

Get a piece of copper and a piece of zinc, and measure the currents that flow between them when you stick them into different types of fruit.

whee

Take two metals, connect them, heat the junction, and marvel at the thermoelectric effect. I always found it weird that just heating metal could produce a voltage.

If you have a budget, buy some logic gates and design some cool electric circuits. Electronic components are dirt cheap--in my hometown, there's a surplus store that sells resistors, capacitors, LEDs, gates, etc. by the kilogram.

Get everyone in your house to grab the leads (one in each hand) and see who is the best conductor.
-
Hook the leads (AC amps mode if it has this mode, otherwise AC volts) to a loudspeaker and see who can get the meter to read the highest by yelling into the speaker.
-
Ummmmm, that's all I can think of now.

russ_watters said:
Measure the voltage of every battery in your house and sort them in order of greatest to least voltage. Discard any that are below their nominal voltage.

Sounds like a fun weekend yeah?

ideasrule said:
If you have a budget, buy some logic gates and design some cool electric circuits. Electronic components are dirt cheap--in my hometown, there's a surplus store that sells resistors, capacitors, LEDs, gates, etc. by the kilogram.

So jealous. My old town has a store like this, but I don't live there anymore.:cry:

You could measure the resistance of soup as a function of saltiness.

Buy an alligator clamp that fits one of your probes, and use a sacrificial conductor (a common nail will do). Pop all the battery-cell caps off your car battery, and measure from one pole (doesn't matter which) to the acid solution in each cell. If you have less than a 3V difference cell-to-cell, look out. If you have a battery that's about ready to go south on you, this will pick it up most of the time.

Measure the resistance between various body parts? Then figure out how much current would go through you at 120/240 V (or whatever the mains is where you live), and compare that to values found below:
http://www.medtek.ki.se/medicaldevi...resholds for effects of electric current.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_shock#Body_resistance

I had a textbook once that described the effect that various currents going through the heart (as opposed to through the body and/or around the heart) would have, ranging from tingle, to fibrillation, to arrest, and then burning, but don't remember the values off hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bust out some rockin' beep jams on the connectivity tester! :D

Here's a fun one: Stick the two probes into the ends of a pool of distilled water, and observe the resistance. Now submerge the multimeter and observe how the resistance of the water decreases as free ions from the multimeter's internal circuity are added to the solution.

13 years ago I bought one as a circuit tester.. figured I'd get more use out of it than that...Nope

KingNothing said:
Here's a fun one: Stick the two probes into the ends of a pool of distilled water, and observe the resistance. Now submerge the multimeter and observe how the resistance of the water decreases as free ions from the multimeter's internal circuity are added to the solution.

I sure as hell wouldn't do that with my multimeter.

Do not submerge any electronics you want to keep in water unless they are waterpoofed, even if it is distilled water.

Also, I don't believe your account makes a lot of sense.

Perfection, is your name Sheldon?

Measure static electricity.
Have you ever combed your hair really fast with the back of a plastic ball-pen and used it to attract small pieces of papers. Well I guess you had done that. But you could never tell they had either positive charge or negative charge.
Now that you got the almighty digital multimeter you can tell. Just put the meter in voltage mode (miliVoltage mode, if there is such options) and let the two probes floating. You may get a few milivolts in air. Now comb the pen and bring it near one of the probes. You will see the changes. Draw your conclusions then!

narrator said:
Perfection, is your name Sheldon?
No.

Seriously, one who follows your instructions is very likely to break their multimeter.

umm lol.. not my instructions.. and I'm pretty sure King was being intentionally silly..

narrator said:
umm lol.. not my instructions..
one of you contribute to PF so you can have an avatar and I can tell you apart.
narrator said:
I'm pretty sure King was being intentionally silly..
That seems likely, but people have weird beliefs about distilled water, it has elements of plausibility enough that someone might actually try it.

Perfection said:
one of you contribute to PF so you can have an avatar and I can tell you apart.

Avatar uploaded, but isn't showing yet...
Now you can tell us apart
Your turn now! :biggrin:

Perfection said:
Bust out some rockin' beep jams on the connectivity tester! :D

Make like Data and bust some moves at the same time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88JGZDyWG5s

OMG that's priceless lol

KingNothing said:

Perfection said:
I sure as hell wouldn't do that with my multimeter.

Do not submerge any electronics you want to keep in water unless they are waterpoofed, even if it is distilled water.

Also, I don't believe your account makes a lot of sense.

Somewhere above is the finest example of ironic, deadpan sarcasm.

1. Can I use a multimeter to test household batteries?

Yes, you can use a multimeter to test household batteries. Set your multimeter to the DC voltage setting and touch the red probe to the positive side of the battery and the black probe to the negative side. The reading should be around the voltage listed on the battery.

2. How can I use a multimeter to check if a wire is broken?

To check if a wire is broken, set your multimeter to the continuity testing setting. Touch the red probe to one end of the wire and the black probe to the other end. If the wire is intact, the multimeter will beep or show a reading of 0 ohms. If the wire is broken, the multimeter will not beep or show a reading.

3. Is it possible to use a multimeter to test the voltage of an outlet?

Yes, you can use a multimeter to test the voltage of an outlet. Set your multimeter to the AC voltage setting and insert the probes into the outlet’s slots. The reading should be around 120 volts for a standard outlet in the United States.

4. How can I use a multimeter to troubleshoot electronics?

You can use a multimeter to troubleshoot electronics by testing the voltage, continuity, and resistance of different components. By checking these values, you can identify faulty components and determine the cause of the issue.

5. Can I use a multimeter to test the continuity of a fuse?

Yes, you can use a multimeter to test the continuity of a fuse. Set your multimeter to the continuity testing setting and touch the probes to each end of the fuse. If the fuse is intact, the multimeter will beep or show a reading of 0 ohms. If the fuse is blown, the multimeter will not beep or show a reading.