Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fun with Word

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    Is anyone else out there becoming as frustrated with MS Word as I am? Once, I thought this was a great package, but with each new version, they seem to come out with a few new "hidden features" and other annoyances. (It is understood that they need to keep coming out with new "updates", so that older software can be made incompatible, and thus force us to keep buying [twenty-first century planned obsolescence]), but does it have to get progressively more unfriendly?

As example, now if attempt is made to open or initiate a new file, and if there are other Word files that have been minimized on the desktop, one of those minimized files is brought up first, - - - enabling something that wasn't asked for, and forcing the user to re-minimize it before whatever was on the desktop can be re-accessed.

Or, when you do close a file, a message somewhat like "This information has been changed - - - would you like to save it?" often comes up. The user, often knows that this is not so, especially when the file was only brought up to make a brief check - - - and must then tell Microsoft that that is nonsense. Earlier versions knew when a file had actually been changed. Why can't the later?

Also, sometimes when you try to close a file (that hasn't been changed), you get this message, but the dialog box is behind everything else and you can't get at it; and to top this off, the window won't go away or minimize easily. When it finally is minimized the remainder sits there winking at you, blinking until it is finally eliminated.

Then there is the nonsense that springs from this of recovered files, when there's nothing needing recovery. These simply wreak havoc.

When will the world stop letting itself be jerked around, with such things as improvements that improve nothing except Microsoft's bottom line?

KM

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

OpenOffice 2.0?

4. Sep 14, 2005 #3
    LaTeX. better layout,professional look, built in Bibliography management, plain text file, Free.

windows users get MiKTeX and Texnicenter(linked from MiKTeX page)

Mac Users get i-Package installer and TeXShop.

Linux users apt-get it.... sources, slaptget, rpm what ever you need to do.

5. Sep 14, 2005 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every time MS ships a new OS or Office applications suite, I have to present a training class about it for our building. What do I teach? How to TURN OFF all the annoying new little bells and whistles that MS has thrown in. Seriously, 90% of what I cover is the disabling of doo-dads! (Die! Die! Smart Tags!!) :devil: :mad: Apologies, Smart Tags fans, but I think they suck.

Every once in awhile MS tries to include something that might actually be useful, but that's always the thing that never works correctly or only works correctly under certain situations which usually are situations that have absolutely nothing to do with our business. To try and teach these features would be suicide- death by drowning in help desk calls from frustrated users. :yuck:

6. Sep 14, 2005 #5
    I take offense to your name :-)

7. Sep 14, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

you are insane. Those things help SO much

8. Sep 14, 2005 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're just too young to get the joke. :wink:

You obviously have a bright future ahead of you at Microsoft. :smile:

9. Sep 15, 2005 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

10. Sep 15, 2005 #9
    I am forbidden to look at those links dduardo :cry:

11. Sep 15, 2005 #10

I was joking. Im a math major going into education. I get the joke, a picture of barbie (blond bimbo) and the name "math is hard".

12. Sep 15, 2005 #11
    smart tags? what are those? I only use word for reading word docs.

13. Sep 15, 2005 #12

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Why? Are you under some NDA or do you just refuse to click on the link

14. Sep 15, 2005 #13
    If you just click on them, they don't work. They work if you copy and paste the links.

15. Sep 15, 2005 #14

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Must be a referer issue.

16. Sep 15, 2005 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, it's based on one of the greatest culture jamming sprees (and practical jokes) of all time, which resulted from the feminist backlash against Mattel's release of Teen Talk Barbie. The story is here: http://www.sniggle.net/barbie.php

But I am delighted to hear you are going into education. Heaven knows this world needs good math teachers!! :smile:

Smart Tags, if enabled, show up as annoying little dotted purple lines that show up underneath text (not the same as the spelling or grammar checking squiggly lines) when it recognizes certain data, like a name from your contact list, or a phone number. When you mouse over you will see a little i in a circle,and hovering over it will produce a pull down menu of options. It's MS being overly helpful trying to anticipate your every need. For instance, if I type "Joe Macaroni" in a document, Smart Tags recognizes this name from my contacts and immediately flags it giving me options to schedule a meeting with Joe, send an email to Joe, etc. Some people may like it, but for me, it's just absolute overkill.

The main reason I find them so annoying is that when Word 2003 came out no one here could understand what the little purple lines were or why they were coming up, and they couldn't figure out what they were called so they couldn't look up how to turn them off. We go a lot of phone calls.

17. Sep 15, 2005 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Except for sometimes being asked if I want to save changes on a documnet I opened as a link from a website, I don't have those issues. Most sound like you need to correct your settings to behave the way you want them to.

MIH, I agree with disabling all the crap. Every time I get a new computer at work, I spend half a day disabling all the "great stuff". :grumpy:

18. Sep 15, 2005 #17

JamesU

Gold Member

I've never seen these. What I thought you meant is when word guesses what you're typing next. How do I enable Smart Tags?

19. Sep 15, 2005 #18

JamesU

Gold Member

ooo...VISTA :tongue2:

20. Sep 16, 2005 #19

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

21. Sep 16, 2005 #20
    Minesweeper looks like crap on there :cry: I just hope they make it much larger on the custom boards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?