Fun with Word

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Math Is Hard said:
Smart Tags, if enabled, show up as annoying little dotted purple lines that show up underneath text (not the same as the spelling or grammar checking squiggly lines) when it recognizes certain data,
Is that what those damned things are?! I installed Office 2004 on my previous work computer, and along with those things, I got these little red boxes that would show up near some words. I didn't know what they were, they didn't seem to do anything useful, and I didn't know how to get rid of them. My solution: revert back to Office X. (I'm on a mac, not a PC, so have slightly different versions.)

And, yes, the first thing I do when I upgrade is try to turn off all the extra crap (I remember when one version tried to automatically guess when you wanted a bulleted list, which was never when I wanted one...I hate having to backspace to keep undoing things Word decides to do automatically...if I wanted a letter capitalized, I'd press "shift" while typing, I don't need Word to think it's smarter than me and start capitalizing letters in the middle of abbreviations that aren't supposed to be capitalized).

I would be happy if they didn't keep upgrading.

I checked out the Open Office site a while ago. They didn't have a version available for Macs yet. I have a question on that though...if I were to install it, say on a work computer, or if they ever come out with a Mac version I can use at home, would the computer illiterates who use only Word on Windows be able to open the documents without losing formatting? And would I be able to open Word documents on it? How compatible is it with Word?

ARGH!!!!! I HATE THOSE TABS!!! I was using Excel the other day and those little tags kept popping up. I had a column of data and a second column with an equation to manipulate the data. I did the little grab the square box and drag trick to fill my second column with the equation manipulating the corresponding data and every row of the equation column had a green tag in the corner and a box with a + asking if I wanted to copy the cell format. I didn't change the cell format to begin with Excel!!! Stupid!!!

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
hmmm..faust, the "little green tag" part sounds like a "triangle indicator" used to flag a formula or data format error. If you want to get rid of that, you may be able to go into tools --> options --> error checking tab and uncheck "Enable background error checking". I noticed that they give you the option to change the color of the triangle in here in my version of Excel (Excel 2003 for Windows) - are these programmers bored or what!?? ok, well, maybe that could be slightly handy if you were working in a green spreadsheet. :tongue2:

That plus sign sounds like your Auto Fill options. If you want to disable this you can go into Tools -> Options --> Edit tab and uncheck the Show Paste Options box.

Another thing you might want to 86 if you like your Excel plain jane -- you can also turn off the Insert Options in that Edit tab. If you try to insert new rows into your spreadsheet this option will nag you unless disabled.

Moonbear and yomamma, if you still have any interest, the Smart Tag options are in kind of a weird place. They are in Tools --> Auto Correct Options, and here there is a Smart Tags tab inside of which you can enable or disable the little suckers. (i am just guessing they are in the same place on the Mac version).

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
The issue with MS Office is that it was good enough back in the year 1997. Then they started adding junk to justify the high price. Their next big move is the subscription model.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
I checked out the Open Office site a while ago. They didn't have a version available for Macs yet. I have a question on that though...if I were to install it, say on a work computer, or if they ever come out with a Mac version I can use at home, would the computer illiterates who use only Word on Windows be able to open the documents without losing formatting? And would I be able to open Word documents on it? How compatible is it with Word?
You can open a .doc file on Open Office. I'm pretty sure the open document format won't open in MS Word, and you cannot export as a .doc, but you can export as a .pdf, so that Windows users can read your files using Acrobat Reader. You can run Open Office on a Mac, too (which I do), but you need to have X11 installed and run it in that environment, not on Mac OS. X11 comes with OS X Tiger, but is not part of the default installation package; you have to select it from the custom install menu. I don't know if it comes automatically with previous versions of Mac OS, but you can get it free from the Apple website.