1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function Algebra and Geometry

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The function defined on R by f(x)= 2/3x+2

And cf his graphic representation in an orthonormal mark (o; i; j)

On the X axis, we consider points A, B and H of respective abscissas 3, 3 and x (x belongs R)

Or C the point of Cf of the same abscissa as A and M the point of Cf of abscissa x

1°) Make the complete figure ?

2°) Calculate the distances AH and MH according to x and by means of the absolute values ?

3°) To determine for which value (s) of x the areas of triangles CHA and MOB is equal ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

You can make me the graphic representation and the rest I shall make him(it) alone please make for me please

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For clarification, by f(x)= 2/3x+2, do you mean 2/(3x)+ 2 or 2/(3x+2) or (2/3)x+ 2. I suspect the last.

I am not at all clear what you mean by "cf his graphic representation in an orthonormal mark (o; i; j)". o is the origin, i the x-axis, j the y-axis?

4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    I mean (2/3)x+2 and o is the origin i the x-axis j the y-axis

Cf is the name of the curve which represents f(x) = (2/3)x+2

Can you make this representation please please...

I ask to you : Can you make this graphic representation ? please just the graphic

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  5. Feb 28, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assuming this is f(x)= (2/3)x+ 2, then its graph is a straight line, passing through (0, 2) and (3, 4).

?? A and B are on the x-axis and both have abscissa 3? Then A and B are the same point?

I'm not certain I am interpreting this right but I think, since A= (3, 0), C= (3, 4).
    Since H= (x,0), M= (x, (2/3)x+ 2).

As I said above, draw the straight line passing through points (0, 2) and (2, 4).

Okay. A= (2, 0) and H= (x, 0) so AH= |x-2|. M= (x, (2/3)x+ 2). MH= |x- (2/3)x-2|= |(1/3)x- 2|

The triangle CHA is a right triangle with height AH and Base AC- and AC= |4-2|= 2.
    Area is (1/2)base*height

The triangle MOB (O is the origin, (0, 0)?) is not a right triangle with but we can still calculate its height MH above, and base OH= x. Again area= (1/2)base*height.

Set the two areas equal and solve for x.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

You can make me the graphic representation and the rest I shall make him(it) alone please make for me please[/QUOTE]

6. Feb 28, 2008 #5
    Function

A has got 3 as abscissa and B has got -3 as abscissa i am sorry i mistake

7. Feb 28, 2008 #6
    Fucntion geometry

Please can you draw me this curve please please and alla other questions i will do alone thank you help me.

8. Feb 28, 2008 #7
    Function and Geometry (Part 2 )

The function defined on R by f(x)= 2/3x+2

And cf his graphic representation in an orthonormal mark (o; i; j)

On the X axis, we consider points A, B and H of respective abscissas 3, -3 and x (x belongs R)

Or C the point of Cf of the same abscissa as A and M the point of Cf of abscissa x

1°) Make the complete figure ?

2°) Calculate the distances AH and MH according to x and by means of the absolute values ?

3°) To determine for which value (s) of x the areas of triangles CHA and MOB is equal ?

Please Anyone for help me, Can u drwan this graphic please please and represents all points A B H M and C

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?