1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function and Geometry

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The function defined on R by f(x)= 2/3x+2

And cf his graphic representation in an orthonormal mark (o; i; j)

On the X axis, we consider points A, B and H of respective abscissas 3, -3 and x (x belongs R)

Or C the point of Cf of the same abscissa as A and M the point of Cf of abscissa x

1°) Make the complete figure ?

2°) Calculate the distances AH and MH according to x and by means of the absolute values ?

3°) To determine for which value (s) of x the areas of triangles CHA and MOB is equal ?

Please Anyone for help me, Can u drwan this graphic please please and represents all points A B H M and C

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you repost this? I remember responding to post where both A and B had abscissa 3! It would have been better to add your correction to the same thread.

Okay so C also has abscissa (x-value) 3 and is on the graph y= (2/3)x+ 2 so y= (2/3)(3)+ 2= 4. C is the point (3, 4). Similarly, M is the point (x, (2/3)x+ 2).

Surely, if you are doing a problem like this, you know that the graph of a function like this is a straight line? When x= -3 (as with point B), y= (2/3)(-3)+ 2= -2+ 2= 0. The graph is the straight line that passes through (-3, 0) and (3, 4).

4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    Function Geometry

Hello Thank you for your answer but can you make this graphic please He is going to help me throughout my homework By representing all the points PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

5. Feb 29, 2008 #4
    Function ax+b

Hello Thank you for your answer but can you make this graphic please He is going to help me throughout my homework By representing all the points PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

6. Feb 29, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I am not going to draw a straight line for you! I have already told you that the graph is the straight line passing (-3, 0) and (3, 4). If you can't draw that you need more help than I can give you.

7. Feb 29, 2008 #6
    pLEASE BUT WHEN I DREW THIS CURVE I DONT OBTAIN TWO TRIANGLES PLEASE HELP ME TO DRAW THE CURVE

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?