1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function bijections help

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I really don't understand the question for this problem, could you please help me out? Thanks so much

1.a,b are some real numbers. Give an example of a bijection from [0,1] to [a,b]
    2. Prove that all functions from [0,1] to [a,b] are bijections

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the example function could be something like Sqrt(1-x) + Sqrt(x). That makes its domain be [0,1]. But I don't know how to make it end up with the value of [a,b]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Try a function like this--f(x) = c(x - h)--with domain restricted to [0, 1]. You'll need to figure out what the constants c and h need to be so that f(0) = a and f(1) = b.

4. Mar 23, 2009 #3
    Hi, oh yes, your function works. All functions f(x) = mx + n are bijections. Thanks for your help.

About the second one, do you think I should break it into 3 cases. With a,b < 0; a,b > 0; and a <0 ^ b>0?

5. Mar 23, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Before looking at your cases, you should first ask yourself whether it's true. "All functions" covers a lot of territory, including functions that are continuous as well as those that are discontinuous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook