Exploring Function Bijections: An Example and Proof from [0,1] to [a,b]

• Thread starter sandra1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a bijection from [0,1] to [a,b] and proving that all functions from [0,1] to [a,b] are bijections. Possible examples and approaches are suggested and the need to consider different cases is mentioned.
sandra1

Homework Statement

I really don't understand the question for this problem, could you please help me out? Thanks so much

1.a,b are some real numbers. Give an example of a bijection from [0,1] to [a,b]
2. Prove that all functions from [0,1] to [a,b] are bijections

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the example function could be something like Sqrt(1-x) + Sqrt(x). That makes its domain be [0,1]. But I don't know how to make it end up with the value of [a,b]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try a function like this--f(x) = c(x - h)--with domain restricted to [0, 1]. You'll need to figure out what the constants c and h need to be so that f(0) = a and f(1) = b.

Hi, oh yes, your function works. All functions f(x) = mx + n are bijections. Thanks for your help.

About the second one, do you think I should break it into 3 cases. With a,b < 0; a,b > 0; and a <0 ^ b>0?

Before looking at your cases, you should first ask yourself whether it's true. "All functions" covers a lot of territory, including functions that are continuous as well as those that are discontinuous.

What is a function bijection?

A function bijection is a mathematical concept that refers to a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of two sets. This means that every element in one set is uniquely paired with an element in the other set.

How do function bijections help in mathematics?

Function bijections are useful in mathematics because they allow us to establish a relationship between two sets in a precise and systematic way. This can help us to better understand the properties and behavior of these sets.

What are some examples of function bijections?

One example of a function bijection is the mapping between the set of real numbers and the set of integers. Another example is the mapping between the set of even numbers and the set of odd numbers.

How do you determine if a function is a bijection?

To determine if a function is a bijection, you must check if it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that every element in the domain must be paired with exactly one element in the range, and every element in the range must have at least one corresponding element in the domain.

What is the importance of inverse functions in bijections?

Inverse functions play a crucial role in bijections because they allow us to "undo" the mapping between two sets. This means that given an output from the function, we can find the corresponding input, and vice versa. This allows us to solve equations and perform other mathematical operations.