1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function counterexample

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]f: A\to B[/tex]. I'm trying to find a function [tex]g: B\to C[/tex] such that [tex]g[/tex] is not [tex]1-1[/tex] but [tex]g\circ f[/tex] is.

The original assignment (which I've completed) was to prove that for all functions [tex]f: A\to B[/tex] and [tex]g: B\to C[/tex], if [tex]g\circ f[/tex] is [tex]1-1[/tex], then so is [tex]f[/tex]. However, in the process of completing the assignment, I tried (out of curiosity) to find g's that weren't 1-1. But I couldn't.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2
    f: n -> (n,n)
    g: (m,n) -> m
    gf = identity, neither f nor g is one-to-one

4. Jan 31, 2009 #3
    Have you thought about why it may not be possible? If the composite is defined then [tex]g\circ f[/tex] = g(f(x)) where x is in A. If f(x) is bijective then g(f(x)) = g(B)

5. Jan 31, 2009 #4
    First of all, when specifying a function (and worrying about its properties), without the domain and codomain, you can't really tell much.

But assuming you have f: R -> R^2, and g: R^2 -> R, then f actually is one to one.

edit:
    But since g isn't one-to-one, you have answered my question. So, thanks!

6. Jan 31, 2009 #5
    The domain is any arbitrary set A with more than 1 element, the codomain is A x A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?