1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function end behaviour

1. Oct 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the end behaviour of the function ƒ(x) = √(x2+x) - x

2. Relevant equations
    Not quite sure, but I suppose f'(x) would be useful?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Essentially what I did was take the derivative of f(x), however I was unsure as to how one would take the limit of the derivative as x approaches positive or negative infinity (to see if f(x) has any asymptotes). Thanks in advance for any help, sorry if I explained this poorly.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello MM, :welcome:

Thanks for introducing this "end behaviour" term to me; I didn't know about it :nb) .
    I suppose you are interested in limits to ##\pm\infty## .

Not exactly an equation, is it ? What does it give you when ##x\rightarrow +\infty ## ?

I suppose you are interested in limits to ##\pm\infty## .
    For ##+\infty##, how can you rewrite f(x) ?

4. Oct 13, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

$$\sqrt{x^2+x}-x = \sqrt{x^2} \left(1 + \frac{1}{x} \right)^{1/2} -x = |x| \left(1 + \frac{1}{x} \right)^{1/2} -x $$
    What happens to ##(1+z)^{1/2}## for small ##z = 1/x##?

5. Oct 13, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Not really. For the end behavior, all you need to do is to evaluate the limits ##\lim_{x \to \infty}f(x)## and ##\lim_{x \to -\infty}f(x)##.

6. Oct 13, 2016 #5
    So as x approaches infinity, will (1+1/x)^(1/2) approach 1? Thus, the function approaches |x| - x ?

7. Oct 13, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, as ##x \to +\infty## we have ##(1+ 1/x)^{1/2} \to 1##, but for large ##x>0## (not yet at ##x = \infty##) there will be some small correction terms; that is,
    $$\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^{1/2} = 1 + \text{small correction terms}$$
    for large ##x##. Don't forget that we multiply ##(1 + 1/x)^{1/2}## by ##|x|##, so we multiply the small correction terms by the large value of ##|x|##. The result of doing that will be something that does NOT go to zero as ##x## goes to ##\infty##. You need to figure out what the main part of the small correction term actually is, in order to arrive at a correct limiting behavior. If you did not do that you would arrive at ##\lim_{x \to \infty} \: x \cdot 1 - x = 0##, and that is not the right answer.

8. Oct 13, 2016 #7
    Ah, I see. That makes sense although I am not sure how to actually go about doing that; my knowledge of calculus is very very limited. I think my teacher is showing us his solution soon so hopefully it will become clear. Thanks so much for the help! :smile:

9. Oct 14, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you want to do some reconnoitering: Do sqrt(1.01) , sqrt(1.001) sqrt(1.0001) etc on your calculator. Or peek at the Taylor series for ##\ \sqrt{1+\epsilon}\ \ \ ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted