Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) accurate to 3000 K

1. Jul 17, 2005 #1

ZA

Does anyone know the function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) accurate to 3000 K ? I would greatly appreciate any replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2005 #2
    You'll most likely need to find an advanced thermodynamics property table to find that. The one I have is only good up to 1800k

(if I had to make a rough estimate I'd say it should be somewhere around 1.2)

4. Jul 17, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ZA,

This has partly been answered to an accuracy of about 1% in the other thread. People have suggested a value of about 1.25

From a theoretic angle, treating H2O as an ideal polyatomic (nonlinear) gas at 3000K (a very good approximation, if you ask me), Cp and Cv values would depend on whether or not you are exciting the vibrational moles in the molecule.

If this temperature is too low (which I doubt, since you typically start to see signs of exciting vibrational modes at about 1000K) to excite vibrational modes, then the molecule has 6 degrees of freedom, and thus Cv = 3R and Cp = 4R, making Y = Cp/Cv = 1.33

If this temperature is high enough (I think this is almost certainly true) to excite both of the dominant vibrational modes of H2O (one where the H atoms have opposite velocities relative to the O atom and the other, where they have the same velocity) then the molecule has 8 degrees of freedom, making Cv = 4R and Cp = 5R, and hence Y = Cp/Cv = 5/4 = 1.25

If you also include a flapping mode (I'm not sure what the activation temperature for this mode would be - just higher than the other modes), then you have Y = 5.5/4.5 = 1.22

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?