Function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) accurate to 3000 K

• Thread starter ZA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) at 3000K can vary depending on whether or not the molecule's vibrational modes are being excited, with a range of values from 1.33 to 1.22. It is recommended to consult an advanced thermodynamics property table for a more accurate value.
ZA
Does anyone know the function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) accurate to 3000 K ? I would greatly appreciate any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll most likely need to find an advanced thermodynamics property table to find that. The one I have is only good up to 1800k

(if I had to make a rough estimate I'd say it should be somewhere around 1.2)

ZA,

This has partly been answered to an accuracy of about 1% in the other thread. People have suggested a value of about 1.25

From a theoretic angle, treating H2O as an ideal polyatomic (nonlinear) gas at 3000K (a very good approximation, if you ask me), Cp and Cv values would depend on whether or not you are exciting the vibrational moles in the molecule.

If this temperature is too low (which I doubt, since you typically start to see signs of exciting vibrational modes at about 1000K) to excite vibrational modes, then the molecule has 6 degrees of freedom, and thus Cv = 3R and Cp = 4R, making Y = Cp/Cv = 1.33

If this temperature is high enough (I think this is almost certainly true) to excite both of the dominant vibrational modes of H2O (one where the H atoms have opposite velocities relative to the O atom and the other, where they have the same velocity) then the molecule has 8 degrees of freedom, making Cv = 4R and Cp = 5R, and hence Y = Cp/Cv = 5/4 = 1.25

If you also include a flapping mode (I'm not sure what the activation temperature for this mode would be - just higher than the other modes), then you have Y = 5.5/4.5 = 1.22

Last edited:

1. What is the function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g)?

The function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) can be expressed as Cp/Cv = (7/2) + (5/2) * (R/M) + (3/2) * (R/M) * (T/Tc)^2, where R is the gas constant, M is the molar mass of H2O, T is the temperature, and Tc is the critical temperature of water.

2. Why is it important to have accurate Cp/Cv values for H2O(g) at high temperatures?

Accurate Cp/Cv values for H2O(g) at high temperatures are important in many industrial and scientific processes involving water vapor, such as power generation and chemical reactions. They are also crucial for understanding the thermodynamics and behavior of water in extreme environments, like in the Earth's atmosphere or on other planets.

3. How accurate is the function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) at 3000 K?

The function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) is accurate to within a few percentage points at 3000 K. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the specific conditions and assumptions used in the calculation. It is always best to consult reliable and up-to-date sources for the most accurate values.

4. Can the function for Cp/Cv be used for liquid water as well?

No, the function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) is specifically for water vapor. Liquid water has a different set of thermodynamic properties and requires a separate function for Cp/Cv calculations.

5. How does the function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) change with pressure?

The function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g) remains relatively constant with changes in pressure at high temperatures. However, at lower temperatures, the function may vary significantly with pressure due to the phase change of water from vapor to liquid. Therefore, it is important to consider pressure when using the function for Cp/Cv for H2O(g).