What is the Correct Function for E in a Triple Integral?

In summary, the conversation is about converting an equation from Cartesian to Spherical coordinates. The original function is sqrt(x^2+y^2), and the task is to find the lower limit for z in terms of polar coordinates. The formulas for converting x^2+y^2 to polar coordinates and relating r to x^2+y^2 are discussed to find the lower bound for z. The final conclusion is that the lower limit for z is r, as r is always positive.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5222/53026504.th.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know A-F except for what E is here, I answered sqrt(x^2+y^2) but it is wrong, so what is it supposed to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to convert [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}[/itex] into an equation that uses only rho, phi, and theta.

You have covered some formulas from going from Cartesian to Spherical coordinates, one of those applies to this function.

sorry I posted the wrong question, please check now

You need to convert x^2+y^2 to polar coordinates. I think that's your only problem.

and how can I do that? is it just x^2+y^2?

all I know about polar coordinate is:
x = r cos theta
y = r sin theta
z = z

Last edited:
x^2+y^2 = ? You should have covered some formulas relating r to x^2+y^2 for polar coordinates.
You replace x^2+y^2 by that and then you find your lower limit for z.

hmm..so the lower bound is r?

Last edited:
No, your original function is sqrt(x^2+y^2) so you'd have sqrt(r^2).

sqrt r^2 is r right?

Yes, well -r or r, but it's convention that r is always positive, so yes, r is the lower limit.

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region.

What is the purpose of a triple integral?

The purpose of a triple integral is to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape or to calculate the mass, center of mass, or moment of inertia of a solid object.

What are the limits of a triple integral?

The limits of a triple integral depend on the type of region being integrated. For rectangular regions, the limits are constant values for each variable. For more complex regions, the limits may be functions of one or more variables.

What is the order of integration for a triple integral?

The order of integration for a triple integral can be written as ∫∫∫f(x,y,z)dxdydz or ∫∫∫f(x,y,z)dzdydx. The order in which the variables are integrated does not affect the final result, but it may affect the complexity of the calculations.

What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the volume and mass of objects, the flow of fluids through a three-dimensional space, and the probability of events in a three-dimensional space. They are also used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional objects.