Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function gnerator

1. Dec 8, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to build a function generator that will output a sine, ramp and rect wave and I need to change the amplitude and the frequency of the signal, as far as the first part goes, I've succeeded, but I can't seem to control the frequency and the amplitude of the signal independently.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2006 #2
    And you can't. You need to design an addition variable gain amplifier that will automatically compensate for an amplitude drop or gain. It's sometimes refered to as ALC, Automatic Level Control. That will level your amlitude through out your frequency range.

4. Dec 8, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm missing something. Where does the sine wave pop out?

5. Dec 8, 2006 #4
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who missed it Mike.

6. Dec 8, 2006 #5
    I'm sorry should have made it more clear, it pops from the integrator circuit (the output of the third Op-Amp) and the rect wave from the differentiator circuit(last one).

7. Dec 8, 2006 #6

berkeman

No, the integral of a triangle wave is not a sine wave. There is a different technique that is generally used for cheap tri --> sine conversion.

8. Dec 8, 2006 #7
    :confused: The output of the Integrator: 1
    cheap trick ???

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  9. Dec 8, 2006 #8

berkeman

Hmmm. Well I don't get that. Does it make that sine-wave-looking waveform at only one frequency? Certainly a damped integration of a triangle wave is not a sine wave in general.

The cheap trick that I referred to is to use diodes and resistors to make an amplitude-dependent impedance that shapes the triangle into a sine. There used to be an IC with that inside it, but I forget the number.

10. Dec 8, 2006 #9
    I see your point berkemen (I'm surprised I haven't before) , I'm gonna look deeper into this.

too bad I can only use op-amps in the circuit, no IC's.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  11. Dec 8, 2006 #10

berkeman

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?