1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function Graphs?

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    Hey all

Recently in a paper I was doing I came across a question which involved the graphing of a function. Now I am doing GCSE mathematics (the real exam) soon, having finished the syllabus; and have never come across anything like this before!

Here's the question

The graph y=f(x) is drawn

Find f(3)

Attempt: Do I go 3 along the X axis then go up see where it cuts the graph, draw a line there and find solutions?

Find f(x)=6

Attempt: Do I draw the line y=6 and see where this intersects with the graph? giving solutions

Find ff(1)!?!

Attempt: Do I.. do f(1), meaning go 1 across on the X axis, find the solution where it cuts the graph and go across to see the Y value, then after I obtain this value go along the X axis and find the point of intersection?

Thanks for any help, I really don't understand! I have never seen this type of question before
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f(3): your thinking is correct.

f(x)=6: correct, then you "look down" to the x axis.

ff(1): I guess that means f(f(1)). After you find y = f(1), go across the X axis to find y on the X axis, then find f(y).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?