1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function has a fixed point?

1. Nov 5, 2004 #1
    I'm trying to work out how an existance of a fixed point is linked to the constraint on the differential of that function.

For example, i need to prove f has a fixed point if f'(x)=>2.

I understand that what I have is a monotone increasing function so it is 1-1. All the fixed points are on the line f(x) = x. So conceptually it must be true that these two lines should intersect somewhere, but I can't prove this rigorously.

I have a feeling I should be using the Mean Value Theorem ( f(b) - f(a)) = f'(c)(b-a) but can't get much further than that.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to prove that there is some c such that f(c) = c. f is continuous on R (I'm guessing). Now you should be able to prove that there are contradictions if f(x) > x for all x, or f(x) < x. Then, by intermediate value theorem, you should be able to finish the proof.

4. Nov 6, 2004 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

let g(x) = f(x) - x. then you want to prove that g(x) = 0 has a solution for some x.

But you, know that g'(x) >= 1, so for every pair of successive integers a = n,b = n+1, it follows from MVT that g(b)-g(a) >= 1. Do you see why?

Hence if g(0) = c>0 say, and n < a < n+1, then g(-n-1) < 0. Do you see why?

then since g is differentiable it is also contrinuous, and has both a negative value and a positive value, hence is somewhere zero.

similar arguments work for g(0) = c<0.

5. Nov 9, 2004 #4
    I was reading through that proof, and I did not understand how

"Hence if g(0) = c>0 say, and n < a < n+1, then g(-n-1) < 0" this step came to be?
    thanx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?