1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function help.

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find n such that,

[tex]y=\frac{ln(cos(x))}{cos(1)}-x^n[/tex]

is zero for all [tex]0\leq x\leq 1[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already narrowed it down to [tex]2<n<2.5[/tex] and I understand that the answer will probably be an approximation. I'm hoping for an exact solution though, however ugly it may be.

Any ideas?

p.s. this isn't a homework problem, so it may well be that you can't have the function be zero for all x between 0 to 1 for any n. It seems as though for some n I've chosen, the function is always going to be under the x axis or above the x axis depending on my n. If it so happens that this is always the case even for n approaching very close to my desired value, then my question should have a valid solution. I'm curious as to how I could show it is always above/below the axis for some n or if it isn't.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh even for n=2.5 it cuts the axis in between 0 and 1, what a let down... in that case, I withdraw my question.

4. Aug 31, 2010 #3

jgens

Gold Member

I realize that you've withdrawn this, but you should be able to prove that there is no number n satisfying the desired conditions (assuming that I've interpretted your question correctly).

Define the function [itex]f[/itex] such that [itex]f(x)=\log{(\cos{(x)})}-x^n[/itex] and suppose that there is some number [itex]n[/itex] such that [itex]f(x)=0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex]. The last condition means that [itex]f[/itex] is constant on an interval; and moreover, [itex]f[/itex] is differentiable on this interval too. Therefore, [itex]f'(x)=-(\tan{(x)}+nx^{n-1})=0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex]. It follows from the last equality that [itex]nx^{n-1} = -\tan{(x)}[/itex] for [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex], but this is a contradiction since [itex]nx^{n-1} \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]\tan{(x)} \geq 0[/itex] on the desired interval.* This essentially completes the proof.**

I'm sorry if there's some fundamental error in the 'proof' above or if I misunderstood your question. Hopefully you'll find something in the above post useful.

* I'm assuming [itex]n>0[/itex], because otherwise [itex]f[/itex] isn't defined for [itex]x=0[/itex].

** I used a modification of your function, but the proof for the function that you gave should be analogous to this one (assuming that I didn't screw up somewhere).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook