Function Inequality: Show t Exists for f(x) & x^2

In summary, given a continuous function f(x):R->R with limit(f(x)/x^2)=0, x-->+-infinity, it can be shown that there exists an element t such that x^2+f(x)>=t^2+f(t) for every x in R. This can be proved by showing that f(x) is bounded and x^2 is bounded below, and then considering the function |f(x)+x^2| which has a minimum at x=-1/2.
Kruger

Homework Statement

Given a continuous function f(x):R->R with

lim(f(x)/x^2)=0, x-->+-infinity

Show that then an element t exist such that:

x^2+f(x)>=t^2+f(t) for every x in R.

Homework Equations

-> The mathematical definition of continuous and limes
(but I really don't know if these are needed)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really thought hours on that problem but didn't find a solution. I've no really good attempt. Well, I know that f(x) has to increase less rapidly than x^2 accordint to lim(f(x)/x^2)=0, x-->+-infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to show that the function x^2+f(x) has a minimum. Since f(x) is continuous, it is bounded on any finite interval, and the first condition shows f(x) goes to zero as x->infinity, so you can show that f(x) is bounded for all x. Combine this with the fact that x^2 is bounded below.

Last edited:
In theory f(x) could be a function like that one in my picture. I don't really understand what you mean with "bounded". I mean in what case are they bounded?

"Bounded" just means that it has upper and lower bounds: that there exist numbers m and M such that m<= f(x)<= M for all x. If lim f(x)/x^2= 0 for x-> +infinity, then There exist X such that if x> X, |f(x)/x^2|< 1: i.e. -1< f(x)/x^2. Similarly, since lim f(x)/x^2= 0 for x-> -infinity there exist X' so that the same is true for x< X'. Let m be the smallest value of f(x)/x^2 for X'<= X<= X and you know f(x)/x^2<= m (if m> -1, take m= -1) for all x.

But consider f(x)=x. Then f(x)+x^2 has no real minimum and lim f(x)/x^2=x/x^2=1/x=0. So I must show that |f(x)+x^2| has a minimum.

By the way:
HallsofIvy: I understand your explanation but how would you integrate this in a proove of x^2+f(x)>=t^2+f(t) for every x in R?

Kruger said:
But consider f(x)=x. Then f(x)+x^2 has no real minimum and lim f(x)/x^2=x/x^2=1/x=0. So I must show that |f(x)+x^2| has a minimum.

f(x)+x^2=x^2+x, which has a minimum at x=-1/2.

uffff, you're right, man, what's up with me :) . If I tell that x^2+x has no minimum, how can I ever solve this :) (seems I'm disturbed).

1. What is a function inequality?

A function inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two functions using symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥. It shows the relationship between the output values of the two functions for different input values.

2. How do you show that a function inequality exists?

To show that a function inequality exists for a function f(x) and x^2, you would need to provide an example where the output values of f(x) are consistently greater than or less than the output values of x^2 for different input values. This can be done by choosing specific values for x and plugging them into the functions to compare their outputs.

3. Why is it important to show that a function inequality exists?

Showcasing a function inequality helps us understand the relationship between two functions and how they behave for different input values. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the functions and their outputs. Function inequalities are often used in real-world applications, such as in economics and engineering, to model and analyze different scenarios.

4. Can a function inequality ever be proven incorrect?

Yes, a function inequality can be proven incorrect if it is not true for all possible input values. This can be done by finding a counterexample, where the output values of the two functions do not follow the inequality. For example, if we can find an x value for which f(x) is less than x^2, then the inequality f(x) < x^2 would be proven incorrect.

5. Are there any other types of inequalities besides function inequalities?

Yes, there are several other types of inequalities in mathematics, such as linear inequalities, quadratic inequalities, and exponential inequalities. These inequalities compare two expressions using symbols like <, >, ≤, and ≥, but they may not necessarily involve functions. They are used to represent relationships between variables and help solve equations and inequalities.