1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function inequality

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a continuous function f(x):R->R with

lim(f(x)/x^2)=0, x-->+-infinity

Show that then an element t exist such that:

x^2+f(x)>=t^2+f(t) for every x in R.

2. Relevant equations

-> The mathematical definition of continuous and limes
    (but I really don't know if these are needed)

3. The attempt at a solution

I really thought hours on that problem but didn't find a solution. I've no really good attempt. Well, I know that f(x) has to increase less rapidly than x^2 accordint to lim(f(x)/x^2)=0, x-->+-infinity.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You just need to show that the function x^2+f(x) has a minimum. Since f(x) is continuous, it is bounded on any finite interval, and the first condition shows f(x) goes to zero as x->infinity, so you can show that f(x) is bounded for all x. Combine this with the fact that x^2 is bounded below.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  4. Dec 10, 2006 #3
    In theory f(x) could be a function like that one in my picture. I don't really understand what you mean with "bounded". I mean in what case are they bounded?

5. Dec 10, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Bounded" just means that it has upper and lower bounds: that there exist numbers m and M such that m<= f(x)<= M for all x. If lim f(x)/x^2= 0 for x-> +infinity, then There exist X such that if x> X, |f(x)/x^2|< 1: i.e. -1< f(x)/x^2. Similarly, since lim f(x)/x^2= 0 for x-> -infinity there exist X' so that the same is true for x< X'. Let m be the smallest value of f(x)/x^2 for X'<= X<= X and you know f(x)/x^2<= m (if m> -1, take m= -1) for all x.

6. Dec 10, 2006 #5
    But consider f(x)=x. Then f(x)+x^2 has no real minimum and lim f(x)/x^2=x/x^2=1/x=0. So I must show that |f(x)+x^2| has a minimum.

By the way:
    HallsofIvy: I understand your explanation but how would you integrate this in a proove of x^2+f(x)>=t^2+f(t) for every x in R?

7. Dec 10, 2006 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

f(x)+x^2=x^2+x, which has a minimum at x=-1/2.

8. Dec 10, 2006 #7
    uffff, you're right, man, what's up with me :) . If I tell that x^2+x has no minimum, how can I ever solve this :) (seems I'm disturbed).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?