1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function is Borel measurable

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the function $\phi(t)=t^{-1}$ is Borel measurable.

2. Relevant equations

Any measurable function into $ (\mathbb{R},\mathcal{B}(\mathbb{R}))$, where $ \mathcal{B}(\mathbb{R})$ is the Borel sigma algebra of the real numbers $ \mathbb{R}$, is called a Borel measurable function

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I need to prove that t^{-1} is a Borel set, and so prove that it is open? I am quite unclear on the actual definition of a borel measurable function, and that is perhaps my problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To get your TeX to show up, enclose it in [itex] (for inline / text style) or [tex] (for equation style) tags.

Now, are you familiar with the definition of a measurable function? Say you have two measurable spaces X and Y with sigma-algebras A and B, respectively. A function f:X->Y is (A-B) measurable if it pulls back sets in B to sets in A, i.e. if f-1(E) is in A whenever E is in B.

A Borel measurable function f:X->Y is then an (A-B) measurable function, where B is the Borel sigma-algebra on Y. (Of course for this to make sense, Y has to be a topological space.)
  4. Oct 17, 2008 #3
    So, in order to prove that \phi(t)=t^{-1} is Borel measurable, I need to show that if t^{-1} is a Borel sigma algebra, that {t^{-1}}^-1=t is in t, which it obviously is?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?