1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function Monotone on Some Interval

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1
    I need the following proposition in order to prove another theorem, and I can't seen to find it in my textbook. Any hints on how to proceed, or whether it's actually TRUE, would be helpful.

"If f is defined and continuous on some interval I, then there exists subintervals I'=[x-a,x+b], for some real numbers a and b, at every point x in I such that f is monotone on I'."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I don't think that's true. Consider the function:

[tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}x \mbox{ sin}(\frac{1}{x}),&\mbox{ if } x \neq 0\\0,&\mbox{ if } x=0\end{array}[/tex]

This is continuous, but is not monotone on any interval containing 0.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  4. Oct 15, 2005 #3
    Ok, I've changed my approach. What about:

"If f is defined and continuous on an interval I and c is in I such that f(c)>0, then there exists an interval I' in I where c is in I' such that f(x)>0 for every x in I'."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  5. Oct 15, 2005 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

That's true. Just use the epsilon delta definition of continuity, taking delta as f(c).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?