Function Monotone on Some Interval

In summary, the conversation discusses the proposition that if a function is defined and continuous on an interval, then there exists subintervals at every point where the function is monotone. However, a counterexample is provided to show that this is not always true. The conversation then shifts to a new proposition, where it is discussed that if a function is defined and continuous on an interval and a specific point has a positive value, then there exists an interval containing that point where the function is also positive. It is determined that this is true by using the epsilon delta definition of continuity.
Icebreaker
I need the following proposition in order to prove another theorem, and I can't seen to find it in my textbook. Any hints on how to proceed, or whether it's actually TRUE, would be helpful.

"If f is defined and continuous on some interval I, then there exists subintervals I'=[x-a,x+b], for some real numbers a and b, at every point x in I such that f is monotone on I'."

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that's true. Consider the function:

[tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}x \mbox{ sin}(\frac{1}{x}),&\mbox{ if } x \neq 0\\0,&\mbox{ if } x=0\end{array}[/tex]

This is continuous, but is not monotone on any interval containing 0.

Last edited:
Ok, I've changed my approach. What about:

"If f is defined and continuous on an interval I and c is in I such that f(c)>0, then there exists an interval I' in I where c is in I' such that f(x)>0 for every x in I'."

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true. Just use the epsilon delta definition of continuity, taking delta as f(c).

1. What does it mean for a function to be monotone on an interval?

A function is monotone on an interval if it either always increases or always decreases within that interval. This means that for any two points within the interval, the function will either always be increasing or always be decreasing as you move from left to right.

2. How can I determine if a function is monotone on a given interval?

To determine if a function is monotone on a given interval, you can graph the function and see if it always appears to be increasing or decreasing within that interval. Alternatively, you can take the derivative of the function and see if it is always positive or always negative within the interval.

3. What is the importance of monotonicity in a function?

Monotonicity is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function. If a function is monotone on an interval, we know that it is either always increasing or always decreasing within that interval, which can give us valuable information about the function's rate of change and its overall behavior.

4. Can a function be monotone on one interval but not on another?

Yes, a function can be monotone on one interval but not on another. For example, a quadratic function may be monotone on one interval, but have a maximum or minimum point on a different interval.

5. How does monotonicity relate to the continuity of a function?

Monotonicity and continuity are closely related concepts. A function that is monotone on an interval must also be continuous on that interval. However, a continuous function may not necessarily be monotone on a given interval.