1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function notation question

1. Jun 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have this problem, but I'm not familiar with the function notation that the professor is using. Can anyone tell me what is actually being asked? I understand everything up to the part that is in bold, but after that, I am lost.

Some of the formating was lost so Rn is shown as R^n and xT is x transpose.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x and y are in Rn, so they are n by 1 matrices so xTAy is (1 by n)(n by n)(n by 1) = 1 by 1 or scalar. If you put in A = BTB I think you will see that it is a dot product of two vectors if you look at it right.

4. Jun 19, 2011 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would interpret the problem as "Show that d satisfies the definition of an inner product". This is really easy if you know the definition and you're comfortable with matrix algebra (stuff like [itex](XY)^T=Y^T X^T[/itex]).

If you're only supposed to show that [itex]x^TAy[/itex] is a dot product of two vectors, the complete solution would be [itex]x^TAy=x^T(Ay)[/itex], because Ay is a column vector. (You know that the definition of matrix multiplication implies that [itex]u^Tv=u_1v_1+\dots+u_nv_n[/itex] when u and v are column matrices, right?)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook