Function notation and inner product

In summary, The problem is asking to show that the function d(x,y)=xTAy, where A is a nxn matrix that can be written as the product of another matrix B and its transpose, is a vector dot product. This can be done by showing that d satisfies the definition of an inner product or by showing that x^TAy is equivalent to the dot product of two vectors.
JerryG

Homework Statement

I have this problem, but I'm not familiar with the function notation that the professor is using. Can anyone tell me what is actually being asked? I understand everything up to the part that is in bold, but after that, I am lost.

Let A be a nxn matrix of real numbers, such that A can be written as a product of
another matrix B and its transpose (e.g. A=BT*B). Assuming that B is
nonsingular, show that the function d:RnxRn->R, d(x,y)=xTAy is a vector dot
product.

Some of the formating was lost so Rn is shown as R^n and xT is x transpose.

Physics news on Phys.org
x and y are in Rn, so they are n by 1 matrices so xTAy is (1 by n)(n by n)(n by 1) = 1 by 1 or scalar. If you put in A = BTB I think you will see that it is a dot product of two vectors if you look at it right.

I would interpret the problem as "Show that d satisfies the definition of an inner product". This is really easy if you know the definition and you're comfortable with matrix algebra (stuff like [itex](XY)^T=Y^T X^T[/itex]).

If you're only supposed to show that [itex]x^TAy[/itex] is a dot product of two vectors, the complete solution would be [itex]x^TAy=x^T(Ay)[/itex], because Ay is a column vector. (You know that the definition of matrix multiplication implies that [itex]u^Tv=u_1v_1+\dots+u_nv_n[/itex] when u and v are column matrices, right?)

Last edited:

What is function notation?

Function notation is a way of representing a function in a concise and standardized format. It uses symbols such as f(x) to represent the output of a function when given a specific input value.

Why is function notation important?

Function notation is important because it allows us to easily and accurately communicate and manipulate mathematical functions. It also helps to differentiate between the function itself and the input variable.

How do you read function notation?

To read function notation, you read it as "f of x" or "f at x". This means that you are plugging in the input value, x, into the function f to get the output value.

What is the difference between f(x) and f(2)?

The difference between f(x) and f(2) is that f(x) is a general representation of the function, while f(2) is a specific output value when the input value is 2. In other words, f(x) represents the entire function, while f(2) represents a single point on the function.

How do you evaluate a function using function notation?

To evaluate a function using function notation, you simply plug in the given input value into the function and solve for the output value. For example, if the function is f(x) = 3x + 2, and you need to evaluate it at x = 5, you would write it as f(5) = 3(5) + 2 = 17.