Function notation question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the terms "function" and "f(x)" in mathematical statements. The speaker expresses annoyance at the use of "f(x)" to refer to the function instead of just "f" and asks for clarification on the general meaning. The expert summarizer explains that it is an abuse of terminology and that "f" is the function while "f(x)" is the actual value of the function at a specific point. The conversation ends with the understanding that people often use "f(x)" as shorthand for "function f".
cra18
I have seen over and over statements like:
[tex]
\begin{aligned}
&f(x)~\text{is a function of}\dots \\
&\text{Let}~f(x)~\text{be a function that}\dots.
\end{aligned}
[/tex]
This is probably a dumb question, but am I justified in feeling annoyed at these statements? The annoyance stems from my understanding that the "function" is [itex] f [/itex], not [itex] f(x) [/itex], i.e., in the definition,
[tex]
f : x \mapsto f(x),
[/tex]
so while [itex] f [/itex] is the literal rule that assigns a value to the point [itex] x [/itex], [itex] f(x) [/itex] is that actual value. Or am I mistaken?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are not mistaken. It is just an abuse of terminology.

Thanks for your answer. But what do people mean generally? Are they referring to the rule, or the variable value of the output of the rule?

The general meaning is that ##f## is the function, not ##f(x)##; in ##f:X\rightarrow Y,x \mapsto f(x)##, where ##X,Y## are sets, ##f## is the function from ##X## into ##Y## and it sends the element ##x## of ##X## to the element ##f(x)## of ##Y##. People simply say things like "consider the function ##f(x)##" for shorthand.

I understand your frustration with these statements as they may not align with your understanding of function notation. However, it is important to recognize that in mathematics, function notation is often used interchangeably and both forms, f and f(x), are correct and valid representations of a function.

In some cases, using f(x) may be more convenient as it explicitly shows the input variable x. Additionally, it can also be used to represent the output value of the function at a specific input, f(x). On the other hand, using just f may be preferred when discussing the function as a whole, without specifying a specific input or output.

Ultimately, the choice to use f or f(x) is a matter of preference and both forms are accepted in mathematics. It is important to understand and be comfortable with both notations in order to fully grasp the concept of functions.

1. What is function notation?

Function notation is a way of representing mathematical functions. It is commonly used to describe the relationship between input values and output values of a function. It uses the symbol "f" followed by the input value in parentheses, such as f(x).

2. How do you read function notation?

To read function notation, you say "f of x" or "the value of f at x". For example, if you see f(2), you would read it as "f of 2" or "the value of f at 2".

3. What is the purpose of function notation?

The purpose of function notation is to make it easier to write and work with mathematical functions. It allows us to express a function in a concise and standardized way, and also allows us to evaluate the function for different input values.

4. How do you evaluate a function using function notation?

To evaluate a function using function notation, you substitute the input value in place of the variable in the function expression. For example, if you have the function f(x) = 2x + 3 and want to find the value of f(5), you would substitute 5 for x and get f(5) = 2(5) + 3 = 13.

5. What is the difference between f(x) and f * x ?

The expression f(x) represents the function f with an input value of x. It is read as "f of x". On the other hand, f * x is a multiplication operation between the function f and the variable x. It is important to note that function notation is used to represent functions, not multiplication operations.