1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function notation

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give an example of a map from the set N of positive integers to itself which
    is surjective but not injective.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It's easy to come up with an example, but I'm not sure on notation.
    Here's how I've written it, but I know it's not quite right. I'm sure you can see the function that I am meaning to give. Any help with the notation would be appreciated. If it's not clear what function I mean, let me know and I will put it into words :)

[tex]\lbrace f:f(1)=1, f(s)=s-1,s>1\rbrace[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's plenty clear enough. Just defining f(1)=1 and f(s)=s-1 for s>1 without using the {} notation is also fine.

4. Jun 14, 2010 #3
    Oh cool. Thank you for your quick response. I may actually just define the function as you say and use words to explain it if it comes up in the exam. I think the lecturer prefers things explained as much in words as possible anyway.

5. Jun 14, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's plenty clear enough. Just defining f(1)=1 and f(s)=s-1 for s>1 without using the {} notation is also fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook