1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Function of random variable

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X and Y be two independent random variables each exponentially distributed with parameter 1. Define a new random variable:

[tex]z = \frac{x}{{x + y}}[/tex]

Find the PDF of Z

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\begin{array}{l}
    {F_Z}(z) = P(Z < z) = P\left( {\frac{x}{{x + y}} < z} \right) = P\left( {x \le \frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} \right) \\
    {F_Z}(z) = \int\limits_0^\infty {\int_0^{\frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} {{f_{xy}}(x,y)dxdy} } \\
    {f_{xy}}(x,y) = {f_x}(x){f_y}(y) \\
    {F_Z}(z) = \int\limits_0^\infty {\int_0^{\frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} {{f_x}(x){f_y}(y)dxdy = } } \int\limits_0^\infty {\int_0^{\frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} {{e^{ - x}}{e^{ - y}}dxdy} } = \int\limits_0^\infty {{e^{ - y}}\left[ {\int_0^{\frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}} {{e^{ - x}}dx} } \right]} dy \\
    {F_Z}(z) = \int\limits_0^\infty {{e^{ - y}}\left[ { - {e^{ - \frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}}} + 1} \right]} dy = \int\limits_0^\infty { - {e^{ - y}}{e^{ - \frac{{zy}}{{1 - z}}}} + {e^{ - y}}} dy = \int\limits_0^\infty { - {e^{ - \frac{{y(1 - z) - zy}}{{1 - z}}}} + {e^{ - y}}} dy \\
    {F_Z}(z) = \int\limits_0^\infty { - {e^{ - \frac{y}{{1 - z}}}} + {e^{ - y}}} dy = (1 - z){e^{ - \frac{y}{{1 - z}}}}|_0^\infty - {e^{ - y}}|_0^\infty = z \\
    \end{array}[/tex]
    Now i know that if i take the derivative of this i will get the "pdf" but its obviously wrong. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2010 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This step is invalid if [itex]z > 1[/itex]. (The inequality gets reversed in that case.)

But you could instead write

[tex]P\left( \frac{x}{x+y} < z \right) = P\left(y > \frac{x(1-z)}{z}\right) = 1 - P\left(y \leq \frac{x(1-z)}{z}\right)[/tex]

I'm not sure if that will be any more helpful, but at least it's correct.

I wonder if it would be helpful to work with the reciprocal:

[tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{x + y}{x} = 1 + \frac{y}{x}[/tex]

It shouldn't be hard to work out the pdf of

[tex]\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

as it is the quotient of two independent random variables. Adding 1 just shifts the pdf to the right by 1. Then do you know how to find the pdf of the reciprocal of a random variable with known pdf?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook