Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function of the graph.

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    y = x+(m/(ax^n+b)+c?

I'm trying to find the equation for a graph in which the equation changes for different points.
    The graph can be made accurate upto 1500, but after that it becomes inacurate for my numbers, using this equation;
    [tex]x+(x*(.8-(\frac{3x}{5000})[/tex]
    or
    [tex]x*(1.80-(\frac{3x}{5000}))[/tex]
    As you can see, it's sort of like modifying x by a percentage, that decreases as x gets bigger, an equation which changes as x does. At 0 the modifer is 180% or +80%, at 50 it's 177% (+77%), the modifer drops 3% each 50 along the x axis. At 500 its 150%, at 1000 its 120% all the way down to 0% at 3000, The problem with this is that when ever I put this into a calculator it doesn't go 3000+(0% of 3000) which WOULD = 3000, instead it somehow calculates 3000 x 0% = 0.
    The idea is that as x increases y increases but at a slower rate, like an exponential function (if X > 0). Problem is I can't find any exponential function to fix it (My calculator is gay, and even though the numbers are fairly round I can't manually find one that fits it, every time I get close and add a +c to the equation it goes spastic), it was suggested to me that maybe it is a, [tex] x+(\frac{m}{ax^n+b})+c[/tex] type equation which would complicate things.
    Maybe I am looking to hard, maybe I'm just an idiot but after a few hours of thinking about it my head is startinig to hurt and I'm getting lazy so any help will be usefull.
    ~Gelsamel
    I might have to edit this if the tex is stuffed up, first time using it lol.
    Edit: Okay I think I got the tex stuff down. Hehe.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2
    Bump, 60 views no reply. Is my question too difficult or just silly?

4. Nov 7, 2005 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have not provided any usefull information. It is not easy, or even possible, to always find a relationship which describes and arbitrary data set.

Tell us more about the data? Where did it come from? What is the physical situation?

While I admire your efforts, they do not help us help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?