1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function proof and range

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    Let F: [-2,5] --> R be function with rule F(x) = x^2 - 1. Show range of F = [-1,24].

I get that 5^2 = 25 - 1 = 24, but how does one get the lower bound of the range to be -1?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

52 [itex]\neq[/itex] 24, but F(5) = 52 - 1 = 24.

Sketch a graph of the function and you should be able to see why the minimum value in the range is -1.

4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    Understood but unfortunately I can't use the graph to show it. They want us to use the definition of set equality and range of a function to do it.

I understand that for two sets to be equal, A must be a subset of B and B must be a subset of A. For range of a function f from A to be, y is an element of B such for all x in A, x,y must both be elements of F. But I'm not making the connection between the two definitions and the question.

5. Sep 27, 2011 #4
    To test for maxima and minima, you look at the two points onthe end of the interval (-2 and 5 in this case), then look at where F'(x) = 0.

6. Sep 27, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you find the minimum of a function?

7. Sep 27, 2011 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Just because you can't use a graph to show what you need to show, that's not a good reason to skip that step. A graph might help you understand the function you're working with. Your function describes a portion of a very simple geometric figure. It's not clear to me that you realize this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook