Proving f(x)>0 if x>0 with Function Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a function f satisfying the equations f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) and f(xy)=f(x)f(y) is not always zero, then f(x) must be greater than zero when x is greater than zero. The conversation provides some attempted solutions and hints, ultimately suggesting to use the fact that f(x) must be positive for rational numbers and considering the case when x is a perfect square.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that if [itex]f[/itex] is the function which is not always zero, that satisfies [itex]f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)[/itex] and [itex]f(xy)=f(x)f(y)[/itex], we have that [itex]f(x)>0[/itex] if [itex]x>0[/itex]

Homework Equations

So far I've managed to prove that [itex]f(x)=x[/itex] if [itex]x \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] and that [itex]f[/itex] must be odd.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose not, then if [itex]x > 0[/itex] and irrational we have that [itex]f(-x) > 0 > f(x)[/itex]. Since any rational number [itex]b > 0[/itex] can be expressed as the sum of two irrational numbers - [itex]x + (b-x)[/itex] for instance - we have that [itex]b = x + y > 0 [/itex] where [itex]x,y[/itex] are irrational. This implies that,

[itex]b = f(b) = f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) > 0[/itex]

Clearly, both [itex]x,y[/itex] cannot be negative since this would imply that [itex]x+y < 0[/itex] a contradiction. We also have [itex]x,y[/itex] cannot both be positive since this would imply that [itex]f(x)+f(y)<0[/itex] another contradiction.

I'm not positive that any of this is correct (probably isn't) and I would appreciate any corrections along with suggestions on how to complete the proof. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jgens! :smile:

Hints: what is f(√x)?

If f(y) = 0, what is f(x/y)?

I can't really follow your logic in 3). You first assume we have one positive irrational number x which is a counterexample to the problem statement. You then choose an arbitrary positive rational number b, and consider the irrational number y=b-x (about which you know very little). You say that x, y can't both be negative which is correct (since b is positive and also since by definition x > 0 so that can't be negative), but I don't see why we couldn't have y < 0 < x. x+y could still be positive if the absolute value of x is greater than that of y, and while f(x) < 0 you don't necessarily know that f(y) < 0 (remember you only assumed that there was a contradiction at one point x, not at all irrational points).

I think you're over complicating the problem slightly. If x > 0 we can write it as [itex]x = a^2[/itex] for some a > 0. We then have:
[tex]f(x) = f(aa) = f(a)^2[/tex]
Also note that if [itex]a \not = 0[/itex] then a has a multiplicative inverse so:
[tex]1 = f(1) = f(a)f(1/a)[/tex]
Try to see if you can show f(x) > 0 from this. You don't need a complete formula for f(x).

1. How do I start my proof for f(x)>0 if x>0?

The first step in proving f(x)>0 if x>0 is to clearly define the function f(x) and the condition x>0. This will help guide your proof and ensure that you are working with the correct parameters.

2. What is the general approach for proving f(x)>0 if x>0?

The general approach for proving f(x)>0 if x>0 is to use mathematical techniques such as algebra, calculus, and logic to manipulate the function and its conditions in order to show that the output of the function is always greater than 0 when the input is also greater than 0.

3. Can I use examples to prove f(x)>0 if x>0?

Yes, using specific examples can be a helpful tool in understanding and proving the concept. However, it is important to remember that examples do not constitute a formal proof and should be used in conjunction with mathematical reasoning.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving f(x)>0 if x>0?

One common mistake to avoid when proving f(x)>0 if x>0 is assuming that the function is always positive without properly considering the condition x>0. Additionally, it is important to thoroughly check any algebraic manipulations or logical deductions to ensure their accuracy.

5. What are some tips for writing a clear and concise proof for f(x)>0 if x>0?

To write a clear and concise proof for f(x)>0 if x>0, it is important to clearly state your assumptions, definitions, and reasoning throughout the proof. Use proper mathematical notation and terminology, and provide explanations for any steps that may not be immediately obvious. It can also be helpful to proofread and check for any errors or gaps in your reasoning.