1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function Proof . . .

1. Aug 9, 2009 #1

jgens

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if [itex]f[/itex] is the function which is not always zero, that satisfies [itex]f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)[/itex] and [itex]f(xy)=f(x)f(y)[/itex], we have that [itex]f(x)>0[/itex] if [itex]x>0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

So far I've managed to prove that [itex]f(x)=x[/itex] if [itex]x \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] and that [itex]f[/itex] must be odd.

3. The attempt at a solution

Suppose not, then if [itex]x > 0[/itex] and irrational we have that [itex]f(-x) > 0 > f(x)[/itex]. Since any rational number [itex]b > 0[/itex] can be expressed as the sum of two irrational numbers - [itex]x + (b-x)[/itex] for instance - we have that [itex]b = x + y > 0 [/itex] where [itex]x,y[/itex] are irrational. This implies that,

[itex]b = f(b) = f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) > 0[/itex]

Clearly, both [itex]x,y[/itex] cannot be negative since this would imply that [itex]x+y < 0[/itex] a contradiction. We also have [itex]x,y[/itex] cannot both be positive since this would imply that [itex]f(x)+f(y)<0[/itex] another contradiction.

I'm not positive that any of this is correct (probably isn't) and I would appreciate any corrections along with suggestions on how to complete the proof. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jgens! :smile:

Hints: what is f(√x)?

If f(y) = 0, what is f(x/y)?

4. Aug 9, 2009 #3
    I can't really follow your logic in 3). You first assume we have one positive irrational number x which is a counterexample to the problem statement. You then choose an arbitrary positive rational number b, and consider the irrational number y=b-x (about which you know very little). You say that x, y can't both be negative which is correct (since b is positive and also since by definition x > 0 so that can't be negative), but I don't see why we couldn't have y < 0 < x. x+y could still be positive if the absolute value of x is greater than that of y, and while f(x) < 0 you don't necessarily know that f(y) < 0 (remember you only assumed that there was a contradiction at one point x, not at all irrational points).

I think you're over complicating the problem slightly. If x > 0 we can write it as [itex]x = a^2[/itex] for some a > 0. We then have:
    [tex]f(x) = f(aa) = f(a)^2[/tex]
    Also note that if [itex]a \not = 0[/itex] then a has a multiplicative inverse so:
    [tex]1 = f(1) = f(a)f(1/a)[/tex]
    Try to see if you can show f(x) > 0 from this. You don't need a complete formula for f(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook