Complete C[a,b] Function Space - Kreyszig

In summary: Then for every N we can find a (n>N) such that |x^n-f(x)|=d(x^n,f)=sup_{0\leq x<1}|x|^n>1/2, so the sequence does not converge to f.In summary, The set of continuous functions on an interval [a,b] under the metric d(x,y) = max|x(t)-y(t)| is complete, as proven by Kreyszig. However, the sequence of x^n s on [0,1] under this metric is not Cauchy and does not converge to a continuous function. This can be shown by considering the distance between x^n and x^m, which is always at least 1 in the sup
bolzano
Hi I'm using Kreyszig's Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications and he proves that the set of continuous functions on an interval [a,b] under the metric d(x,y) = max|x(t)-y(t)| is complete. Standard proof nothing hard over there.

But isn't the sequence of x^n s on [0,1] a Cauchy sequence (under this metric) which does Not converge to a continuous function?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your reasoning for why it is Cauchy?

Well intuitively it seems so, but later on i tried checking this out as follows:

i) compute the derivative of x^(n-1) - x^n.

ii)Equating this to zero will give the point x in [0,1] at which this is highest.

iii)Substituting this value back into x^(n-1) - x^n will give the disatance (w.r.t the metric d) between x^(n-1) and x^n.

The attachment has the distances. Thanks! :)

Attachments

• Cauchy.jpg
    Cauchy.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 637
You should try to give a proof of your claim.

For all n,m: if x=0 then x^n=0, if x=1 then x^m=1. Hence the distance between x^n and x^m will always be at least 1 in the sup-norm:

[tex]\max_{x\in[0,1]}|x^n-x^m|\geq 1.[/tex]

No way this is a Cauchy sequence, or a convergent sequence. The sequence converges pointwise to the discintinuous function [itex]f(x)=\delta_{x,1},[/itex] but not uniform.

Landau said:
For all n,m: if x=0 then x^n=0, if x=1 then x^m=1. Hence the distance between x^n and x^m will always be at least 1 in the sup-norm:

[tex]\max_{x\in[0,1]}|x^n-x^m|\geq 1.[/tex]

No way this is a Cauchy sequence, or a convergent sequence. The sequence converges pointwise to the discintinuous function [itex]f(x)=\delta_{x,1},[/itex] but not uniform.

Hi Landau, i know that the sequence converges pointwise and the limit function is discontinuous on [0,1]. However in the metric space we're treating the functions as points; have You looked at the metric we're using on [0,1]? It's d(x,y) = max|x(t)-y(t)| for all t in [0,1].

The convergence isn't the usual one of a sequence of functions on a subset of R as in calculus, but in a metric space with respect to the metric d.

So the distance between x and x^2 is 0.25, the dist. between x^2 and x^3 is 0.148148 and so on... (see the attachment in my previous post)

Hi Bolzano, I am aware that we are considering the metric d, this is also called the supremum (or uniform) norm. Convergence with respect to this metric is precisely the usual "uniform convergence".

Bu I now see I made a mistake in my last post, arguing that the distance would be at least 1 for all n,m. Instead of [itex]\max_{x\in[0,1]}|x^n-x^m|[/itex] I considered [itex]\max_{x,y\in[0,1]}|x^n-y^m|[/itex].

Still, you should try to make your proof rigorous (because it won't be possible). Given e>0, try to find N such that d(x^n,x^m)<e for all n,m>N.

Last edited:
Landau said:
Still, you should try to make your proof rigorous (because it won't be possible). Given e>0, try to find N such that d(x^n,x^m)<e for all n,m>N.

Yes precisely, the sequence I'm considering obviously isn't Cauchy, otherwise the space won't be complete. In fact the theorem tells us that the sequence can't be Cauchy since it converges to a function "outside" the space of Cont. Functions.

However i really felt that this sequence was Cauchy wrt to the metric but it obviously isn't, proving it rigorously is the only way to make sure obviously :)

Perhaps easier is to show that the sequence does not converge uniformly to [itex]f(x):=\delta_{x,1}[/itex] (=1 if x=1 and =0 otherwise), i.e. it does not converge with respect to d to this function.

|x^n-f(x)|=|1-1|=0 if x=1
|x^n-f(x)|=|x^n-0|=|x|^n if x<1.

Hence [itex]d(x^n,f)=\sup_{0\leq x<1}|x|^n.[/itex]
E.g. take epsilon=1/2.

1. What is the Complete C[a,b] Function Space - Kreyszig?

The Complete C[a,b] Function Space - Kreyszig is a mathematical concept that refers to the set of all continuous functions on a closed interval [a,b]. It is named after Erwin Kreyszig, a German mathematician who first introduced the concept in his book "Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications".

2. How is the Complete C[a,b] Function Space different from other function spaces?

The Complete C[a,b] Function Space is different from other function spaces in that it includes all continuous functions on the closed interval [a,b], while other function spaces may only include specific types of functions or may have different intervals of definition. Additionally, the Complete C[a,b] Function Space is a complete metric space, meaning that it contains all of its limit points, while other function spaces may not be complete.

3. What are some applications of the Complete C[a,b] Function Space?

The Complete C[a,b] Function Space has numerous applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used in functional analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces of functions. It also has applications in differential equations, where it is used to find solutions to differential equations with continuous functions. In physics, the Complete C[a,b] Function Space is used to model physical systems and to study properties of functions that describe physical phenomena.

4. How is the Complete C[a,b] Function Space related to the space of square-integrable functions?

The space of square-integrable functions is a subset of the Complete C[a,b] Function Space. Square-integrable functions are those whose square is integrable (i.e. has a finite integral) on a given interval. This subset is important because it is a Hilbert space, which is a complete and infinite-dimensional vector space equipped with an inner product. This allows for the application of powerful mathematical tools, such as the Fourier series and the Fourier transform.

5. Are there any limitations of the Complete C[a,b] Function Space?

One limitation of the Complete C[a,b] Function Space is that it only includes continuous functions on a closed interval [a,b]. This means that functions that are not continuous, such as step functions, are not included in this space. Additionally, the choice of the interval [a,b] may limit the types of functions that can be included in the space. For example, if the interval is too small, some functions may not be continuous on it. However, these limitations can be overcome by using other function spaces that include different types of functions or different intervals of definition.