1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function waves graph

1. Apr 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The function y(x, t) = Asin(kx−ωt+ϕ) where x is in metres and t in seconds for
    (a) tp = 3.5 s and (b) xp = 3.7m

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know where to begin.

I know λ = 2pi/k

this is really disorienting. In the first graph, I'm given t = 3.5.
    A = 3
    y(x,t) = 3sin(kx-3.5ω)

In the second graph, y(x,t) = 3sin(3.7k - ωt)

Really, I don't know how should I get started and I'm really frustrated.

I'm asked to find the wavelength. Is it 7m based off the first graph or do I have to utilize t = 3.5 and x=3.7?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello again,

Let's try to get you unfrustrated. The problem statement apparently includes a question like: what is the wavelength ? (because you mention it under 3). And it has something to do with k (because you include it under 3 -- but λ = 2pi/k looks more like a relevant equation to me than an attempt at solution -- Please make it easier for yourself and be a bit more complete under 1) and 2) ).

1.) I see an A = 3 falling out of the air. Where does it come from ?

2.) If the first plot is for a fixed t, the only thing that varies is x and you have a plot of A sin(kx + something). How would you find k and, thereby λ (according to relevant equation 1) ?

Is this part of a longer exercise, or is the second plot there just to confuse you ?

4. Apr 23, 2014 #3
    Hi BVU,

I'm overlooking certain aspects in this question.

It's part of a longer question but I had it solved.

I am asked to find the wavelength given the 2 graph. The wavelength of a wave is simply taken to be the length of a wave per cycle.
    In the first graph, the wavelength is 7m. This turns out to be correct. It starts at x =0 and ends at x=7.
    What had me confused was the given tp and xp.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted