Function with 2 variables

In summary: The partial derivatives do not exist at the origin because when we try to evaluate them, we get a division by 0. This can be seen by taking the partial derivative with respect to x:\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{6x^2y(x^6+y^2)-2x^3y(6x^5)}{(x^6+y^2)^2} = \frac{-10x^6y}{(x^6+y^2)^2}When we substitute x=0 and y=0, we get a division by 0. Similarly, the partial derivative with respect to y also does not exist. This means that the partial derivatives
hyper
This is the problem, we have:

f(0,0)=0 for (x,y) not(0,0) f(x,y)= [tex]\frac{2*x^3*y}{x^6+y^2}[/tex]

a) What is lim f(x,y) (x,y)=->(0,0) alonng any straign line.

b) Show that in every circle centered at the origin there is a point where f(x,y)=1

c) Decide if f(x,y) is continious at the origin.

d)Decide if the partial derivatives at the origin exicsts, and if the do what are they?

my attempt at the sollution:

a) Here I used polarcoordinates and found out that the limit valuse was zero, so I don't need you to try on this.

b) If you choose y=x^3 it is allways one there, so I think I got this, but I want you more to look at the last 2 questions.

c) Now comes the tricky part. Along every straight line the limit valuse is zero, and f(0,0)=0 so it might excist. But if we try the let y have the value y=k*x^3, f(x,y) is allways [tex]\frac{2k}{1+k^2}[/tex] and it should also have this value when it goes to the origin, so so if we choose k not 0 we don't get the limit zero and it isn't contious. Do you guys have any ideas here?

d) Here I tried partial differensiation with the expression and evaluating in (0,0), but you can't do this because the you would divide with zero, and that is not ok to do. So maybe I should combine f(0,0)=0 and f(x,y)= [tex]\frac{2*x^3*y}{x^6+y^2}[/tex] ? Maybe the partial derivative do not excist there continious?

Help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Physics news on Phys.org

a) To find the limit along any straight line, we can substitute y=mx into the expression and take the limit as x approaches 0. This gives us:

lim f(x,mx) = lim \frac{2*x^3*mx}{x^6+m^2*x^2} = lim \frac{2mx^4}{x^2(x^4+m^2)} = 0

Therefore, the limit along any straight line is 0.

b) To show that there is a point where f(x,y)=1 for every circle centered at the origin, we can use the fact that every point on a circle can be represented in polar coordinates as (rcosθ, rsinθ), where r is the radius and θ is the angle. Substituting this into the expression, we get:

f(rcosθ, rsinθ) = \frac{2*r^3*cos^3θ*sinθ}{r^6*cos^6θ+r^2*sin^2θ}

Simplifying, we get:

f(rcosθ, rsinθ) = \frac{2*r*cos^3θ*sinθ}{r^4*cos^6θ+sin^2θ}

Since r is a constant, we can factor it out of the denominator:

f(rcosθ, rsinθ) = \frac{2*r*cos^3θ*sinθ}{r^4*(cos^6θ+sin^2θ)}

Since cos^6θ+sin^2θ is always greater than or equal to 1, the denominator is always greater than or equal to r^4. This means that the expression is always less than or equal to \frac{2}{r^3}. Therefore, as r approaches 0, the expression approaches 0. This means that there is a point on every circle where f(x,y)=1.

c) To determine if f(x,y) is continuous at the origin, we need to check if the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approaches (0,0) exists and is equal to f(0,0). We have already shown in part a) that the limit along any straight line is 0, and in part b) that there is a point on every circle where f(x,y)=1. Since these two limits do not agree, the limit does not exist and therefore f(x,y) is not continuous at

1. What is a function with 2 variables?

A function with 2 variables is a mathematical relationship between two quantities, where the value of one variable depends on the value of the other variable. It can be represented as f(x,y) or z = f(x,y), where x and y are the independent variables and z is the dependent variable.

2. How do you graph a function with 2 variables?

To graph a function with 2 variables, you will need to create a 2-dimensional coordinate plane and plot points based on the values of the independent variables. The points will then be connected to form a curve or surface, depending on the type of function. This graph can help visualize the relationship between the variables and can be used to analyze the behavior of the function.

3. What is the domain and range of a function with 2 variables?

The domain of a function with 2 variables is the set of all possible values for the independent variables. The range is the set of all possible values for the dependent variable. In other words, the domain is the input values and the range is the output values of the function.

4. Can a function with 2 variables have more than one output for a given input?

Yes, a function with 2 variables can have more than one output for a given input. This is known as a multivalued function and can occur when the function is not one-to-one, meaning that different inputs can produce the same output. It is important to note that in this case, the function is not invertible.

5. How do you find the critical points of a function with 2 variables?

To find the critical points of a function with 2 variables, you will need to take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and set them equal to 0. The critical points are the values of the independent variables that make both partial derivatives equal to 0. These points can help determine the maximum, minimum, or saddle points of the function.