Functional Analysis problems

In summary, Functional Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations using advanced algebraic and topological concepts. It has many applications in science, including modeling and analyzing systems. Some common problems in Functional Analysis include finding optimal solutions, determining existence and uniqueness of solutions, and studying convergence of sequences. Techniques used in solving these problems include Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, and operator theory, as well as linear algebra, calculus, and topology. Functional Analysis also has connections to other branches of mathematics, such as linear algebra, real analysis, and topology.
Oxymoron
Im trying to prove the following proposition

Let [itex](X,\|\cdot\|_X)[/itex] and [itex](Y,\|\cdot\|_Y)[/itex] be normed vector spaces and let [itex]T:X \rightarrow Y[/itex] be a surjective linear map.
Then [itex]T[/itex] is an isomorphism if and only if there exist [itex]m,M > 0[/itex] such that

[tex]m\|x\|_X \leq \|Tx\|_Y \leq M\|x\|_X \quad \forall \, x \in X[/tex]

For the forward inclusion, I supposed that [itex]T[/itex] is an isomorphism and I want to prove that [itex]m,M > 0[/itex] exist such that

[tex]m\|x\|_X \leq \|Tx\|_Y \leq M\|x\|_X \quad \forall \, x \in X[/tex]

Now since T is an isomorphism I know three things...
1) [itex]T[/itex] is bijective
2) [itex]T[/itex] bounded
3) [itex]T^{-1}[/itex] is bounded

So I take any [itex]x \in X[/itex]. Then since [itex]T[/itex] is linear and bounded...

[tex]\|Tx\|_Y \leq M\|x\|_X[/tex]

for some [itex]M > 0[/itex]. My question is how do I show that [itex]\|Tx\|_Y \geq m\|x\|_X[/itex] at the same time? Do I use the inverse [itex]T^{-1}[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting proposition and for reaching out for assistance in proving it. I would like to offer my insights on how you can approach this problem.

Firstly, your understanding of the properties of an isomorphism is correct. In order to prove the proposition, we need to show that if T is an isomorphism, then there exist m,M > 0 such that the given inequality holds for all x \in X. And if the inequality holds, then T must be an isomorphism.

Now, to show that \|Tx\|_Y \geq m\|x\|_X, we can use the inverse T^{-1} as you suggested. Since T is bijective, we know that T^{-1} exists and is also linear and bounded. This means that for any y \in Y, we can write y = T^{-1}(Tx). Using the boundedness of T^{-1}, we can write

\|y\|_Y = \|T^{-1}(Tx)\|_Y \leq M \|Tx\|_Y

where M is the bound for T^{-1}. Now, using the given inequality, we have

\|y\|_Y \leq M \|Tx\|_Y \leq M(M^{-1})\|Tx\|_Y = \|Tx\|_Y

So we have shown that for any y \in Y, there exists x \in X such that \|y\|_Y \leq \|Tx\|_Y. This implies that \|Tx\|_Y \geq \|y\|_Y, which in turn implies that \|Tx\|_Y \geq m\|x\|_X, where m = 1. Therefore, we have shown that m\|x\|_X \leq \|Tx\|_Y \leq M\|x\|_X for all x \in X.

I hope this helps in proving your proposition. Remember, as scientists, it is important to provide a rigorous and logical proof for our propositions. Good luck!

Yes, you can use the inverse T^{-1} to show the other direction. Since T^{-1} is also bounded, there exists a constant N > 0 such that \|T^{-1}y\|_X \leq N\|y\|_Y for all y \in Y. Therefore, for any x \in X, we have \|x\|_X = \|T^{-1}Tx\|_X \leq N\|Tx\|_Y. This implies that \|Tx\|_Y \geq \frac{1}{N}\|x\|_X. Thus, we can choose m = \frac{1}{N} and have m\|x\|_X \leq \|Tx\|_Y for all x \in X. Therefore, we have shown that both inequalities hold and m,M > 0 exist, proving the proposition.

1. What is Functional Analysis?

Functional Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and the linear transformations between them. It involves the use of advanced algebraic and topological concepts to analyze the properties and behavior of these spaces.

2. How is Functional Analysis used in science?

Functional Analysis has many applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and analyze systems, such as physical systems, electrical circuits, and economic systems, by representing them as mathematical functions and studying their properties and behavior.

3. What are some common problems in Functional Analysis?

Some common problems in Functional Analysis include finding the optimal solution to a given system, determining the existence and uniqueness of solutions, and studying the convergence of sequences of functions.

4. What are some techniques used in solving Functional Analysis problems?

Some common techniques used in solving Functional Analysis problems include the use of Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, and operator theory. Linear algebra, calculus, and topology are also commonly used in this field.

5. How does Functional Analysis relate to other branches of mathematics?

Functional Analysis has connections to many other branches of mathematics, such as linear algebra, real analysis, and topology. It uses concepts and techniques from these fields to study and solve problems related to vector spaces and linear transformations.