Proving Open/Closed Sets: Functional Analysis in C [0,1]

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with proving that two sets, A and B, are open and closed. They are struggling with understanding the concept and are advised to sketch the graph of a given function and use that to prove their observations. They thank the person for their advice and plan to try it out.
patricia-donn
Hello
Would anyone out there be able to help me with a problem I'm having? I have to prove that a function is open and that another is closed. The question is:

Consider C [0,1] with the sup metric. Let f:[0,1]→R be the function given by f(x)=x²+2
Let A={g Є C[0,1]: d(g,f) > 3}. Prove that A is an open set
Let B={g Є C[0,1]: 1 ≤ d(g,f) ≤ 3}. Prove that B is a closed set

I'm new to all of this and just don't know what to do even with the f(x)=x²+2 part so if anyone out there can shed some light, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're trying to prove that sets are open and closed, not functions. I suggest you sketch the graph of f. Here, d(f,g) represents the maximum distance between two continuous functions f and g. So play around with the sketch, and then try to prove your observations.

morphism said:
You're trying to prove that sets are open and closed, not functions. I suggest you sketch the graph of f. Here, d(f,g) represents the maximum distance between two continuous functions f and g. So play around with the sketch, and then try to prove your observations.

Thank you for your advice, I'll try that and see how I get on

Thanks again

1. What is a closed set in functional analysis?

A closed set in functional analysis is a subset of a metric space that contains all of its limit points. This means that every convergent sequence within the subset must have its limit point also within the subset. In simpler terms, a closed set is a set that includes all of its boundary points.

2. How do you prove a set is closed in functional analysis?

To prove a set is closed in functional analysis, you must show that it contains all of its limit points. This can be done by considering a convergent sequence within the set and showing that its limit point is also within the set. Alternatively, you can prove a set is closed by showing its complement (the set of all points not contained within the set) is open.

3. What is an open set in functional analysis?

An open set in functional analysis is a subset of a metric space in which every point within the set has a neighborhood (a subset containing points close to the original point) that is also contained within the set. In other words, an open set does not contain any of its boundary points.

4. How do you prove a set is open in functional analysis?

To prove a set is open in functional analysis, you must show that every point within the set has a neighborhood contained within the set. This can be done by considering any point within the set and showing that a small enough distance around it is also contained within the set. Alternatively, you can prove a set is open by showing its complement is closed.

5. Can a set be both open and closed in functional analysis?

Yes, in some cases a set can be both open and closed in functional analysis. This is known as a clopen set and can occur in certain types of metric spaces such as discrete spaces. In most cases, however, a set will be either open or closed, but not both.