Prove Open & Closed Sets in C[0,1] | Functional Analysis

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to prove that a function is open or closed. They provide a summary of the function and the proof of open and closed set.
patricia-donn
Hello
Would anyone out there be able to help me with a problem I'm having? I have to prove that a function is open and that another is closed. The question is:

Consider C [0,1] with the sup metric. Let f:[0,1]→R be the function given by f(x)=x²+2
Let A={g Є C[0,1]: d(g,f) > 3}. Prove that A is an open set
Let B={g Є C[0,1]: 1 ≤ d(g,f) ≤ 3}. Prove that B is a closed set

I'm new to all of this and just don't know what to do even with the f(x)=x²+2 part so if anyone out there can shed some light, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A is the all functions that belong to C[0,1] and whose distance to f is at least 3. That's where f(x) should come in.

Ok, to prove that A is open you need to show that given a arbitrary g in A, you can find a ball around g contained in A.

First note that we are considering continuous functions from a closed interval, so the supremum always exist.

Now let g be some function in A, that is

3 < d(g,f) = sup|g-f| = b

b is simply the real number we already have noted exist, that is different from infinity.

now define a = b - 3, note this is greater than zero. Then define the open ball around g

B_a(g) = {h in C[0,1] | d(g,h) < a}

we now show that this is contained in A. So for h in B_a(g), because d is a metric it satisfy the triangle inequality, we have

d(h,f) => |d(g,h) - d(g,f)| > |a - b| = |b-3-b| = 3

so B_a(g) is contained in A, this proves that A is open.

To show that B is closed, first in the same way for A show that

C = {g in C[0,1] | d(g,f) < 1}

is open.

then A intersect C is open, because the intersection of two open sets are open. We also know that the complement of an open set is closed, so by noting that

B = Compliment of (A intersect C)

you are done. It have been some time before i did this kind of thing so someone might need to check that I done it right. As you see you don't need to know an explicit formula for f(x), I guees the only reason you got that was to get a fealing of what the sup norm looks like.

a little correction to the line

write

d(h,f) => |d(g,h) - d(g,f)| > |a - b| = |-3| = 3

instead

mrandersdk said:
a little correction to the line

write

d(h,f) => |d(g,h) - d(g,f)| > |a - b| = |-3| = 3

instead

Thank you so so much for your prompt reply. You've really helped me out and I really appreciate your time.

Thanks again

no problem, as long as you learn something from an not just copy it.

1. What is the definition of an open set in C[0,1]?

An open set in C[0,1] is a subset of the space C[0,1] where every point in the set has a neighborhood of points also contained in the set. In other words, every point in the set is an interior point.

2. How do you prove that a set is open in C[0,1]?

To prove that a set is open in C[0,1], you must show that every point in the set has a neighborhood contained in the set. This can be done by selecting an arbitrary point in the set and finding a neighborhood around that point that is also contained in the set.

3. What is the definition of a closed set in C[0,1]?

A closed set in C[0,1] is a subset of the space C[0,1] where every limit point of the set is also contained in the set. In other words, the set contains all its boundary points.

4. How do you prove that a set is closed in C[0,1]?

To prove that a set is closed in C[0,1], you can show that it contains all its limit points or you can use the definition of a closed set and show that the complement of the set is open in C[0,1].

5. Can a set be both open and closed in C[0,1]?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed in C[0,1]. An example of this is the empty set, which is both open and closed in any topological space, including C[0,1].