1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Functional derivative

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    In the literature (Ryder, path-integrals) I have found the following relation for the functional derivative with respect to a real scalar field [tex] \phi(x) [/tex]:

[tex] i \dfrac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x)} e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) ( \square + m^2 ) \phi(x)} = ( \square + m^2 ) \phi(x) e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) ( \square + m^2 ) \phi(x)}[/tex]

But how do I compute this? I am just confused about this d'Alembert operator [tex] \square [/tex] and I never end up with the right solution as above.

Could anybody explain how to obtain this solution, please?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

It would help if you show us your steps until the point where the d'Alembert operator is causing problems.

Using the Minkowski metric (+---) (c=1) the d'Alembert operator is given by [itex]\partial_{tt}-\partial_{xx}-\partial_{yy}-\partial_{zz}[/itex]. With this you can evaluate the integral [itex]\int d^4 x \; \phi(x) \square \delta \phi(x)[/itex] using partial integration. What do you know about the volume integrals that appear due to partial integration? Try it for [itex]\int d^4x \; \phi(x) \partial_{xx} \phi(x)[/itex]. The other terms work exactly the same.

4. Apr 2, 2010 #3
    Ok, my problem is the following. If I consider

[tex] i \dfrac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x)} e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) m^2 \phi(x)} [/tex]

I could write the exponent as [tex] -i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} m \phi^{2} [/tex] and use some kind of product rule and obtain:

[tex] i \dfrac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x)} e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) m^2 \phi(x)} = m^2 \phi(x) e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) m^2 \phi(x)} [/tex]

Ok, that seems to be correct, but now I if want to compute

[tex] i \dfrac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x)} e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) \square \phi(x)} [/tex]

I can not rewrite the exponent in such a form like above and otherwise I don't really know how to build the derivative.

I just differentiated the first [tex] \phi(x) [/tex] and obtained

[tex] = \dfrac{1}{2} \square \phi(x) e^{-i \int \mathrm{d}^{4} x \frac{1}{2} \phi(x) \square \phi(x)} [/tex]

where I have a factor 1/2 which is wrong, but I don't know how to derive this correctly.

5. Apr 2, 2010 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You have treated [itex] \square \phi(x) [/itex] as a constant now, but it is not a constant.

Take the variation of the argument of the exponent.

[tex] \delta \int d^4x \; \phi(x) \square \phi(x) = \int d^4x \; \left[ \delta \phi(x) \square \phi(x) +\phi(x) \square \delta \phi(x) \right] [/tex]

Now integrate the second term by parts.

6. Apr 2, 2010 #5
    Ok, I integrated the second term by parts (2 times) and finally obtained the correct result.

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook