Functional Graphical Equation

• Thread starter Physiona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary: Thus, f(a) = 0. Is this correct?Yes, that's exactly right. So when you have the equation (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) and you plug in each of the values a, b, and c for x, you get 0. This is why these values are called the roots of the equation. In summary, the conversation discussed finding the equation for a graph given the points of intersection on the x-axis. It was determined that the equation would be a cubic polynomial, and the values of a, b, and c in the factored form of the equation would represent the points of intersection. It
Physiona
Shown below is the graph of
chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=y%3Df%28x%29.png

The graph interests the
chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x.png
axis at 3 points, B, C and D.

Given the points of intersection, and the brackets below, form and expand an equation for

the graph of
image?rev=4&h=257&w=478&ac=1.png

000000&chl=%28x%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%29%5C+%28x%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%29%5C+%28x%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%29%3D0.png

ATTEMPT:
I've assumed to involve the points of intersection for the x-axis which is 4, -2, and -5. It looks to be a cubic graph where x3. I'm not entirely convinced on how I progress from here if this way is correct. Any guidance? Thank you.

Attachments

• chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=y%3Df%28x%29.png
    430 bytes · Views: 782
  • chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x.png
    chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=x.png
    202 bytes · Views: 789
  • chart?cht=tx&chf=bg,s,FFFFFF00&chco=000000&chl=y%3Df%28x%29.png
    440 bytes · Views: 786
  • image?rev=4&h=257&w=478&ac=1.png
    image?rev=4&h=257&w=478&ac=1.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 897
  • 000000&chl=%28x%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%29%5C+%28x%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%29%5C+%28x%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%29%3D0.png
    000000&chl=%28x%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%29%5C+%28x%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%29%5C+%28x%5C+%5C+%5C+%5C+%29%3D0.png
    592 bytes · Views: 828
Physics news on Phys.org
Physiona said:
Shown below is the graph of View attachment 222920

The graph interests the View attachment 222921axis at 3 points, B, C and D.

Given the points of intersection, and the brackets below, form and expand an equation for

the graph of View attachment 222922View attachment 222923

View attachment 222924

ATTEMPT:
I've assumed to involve the points of intersection for the x-axis which is 4, -2, and -5. It looks to be a cubic graph where x3. I'm not entirely convinced on how I progress from here if this way is correct. Any guidance? Thank you.
When you factor a cubic, you get something that looks like ##(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)##. What do a, b and c represent?

Physiona said:
Shown below is the graph of View attachment 222920

The graph interests the View attachment 222921axis at 3 points, B, C and D.

the graph of View attachment 222922View attachment 222923

View attachment 222924

ATTEMPT:
What does it mean for a polynomial ##f(x)## that ##f(a)=0\,##? What happens, if you divide such a polynomial by ##x-a\,##?

tnich said:
When you factor a cubic, you get something that looks like ##(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)##. What do a, b and c represent?
Will they not represent the points of intersection on the graph on the x axis? I'm not entirely sure

fresh_42 said:
What does it mean for a polynomial ##f(x)## that ##f(a)=0\,##? What happens, if you divide such a polynomial by ##x-a\,##?
I don't understand your point clearly. At this stage I don't have the value of the equation of the function.

Physiona said:
Will they not represent the points of intersection on the graph on the x axis? I'm not entirely sure
That's right. They are the roots of the equation, the values of x at which f(x) = 0. So if f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c), then . . . ?

Likes Physiona
Physiona said:
I don't understand your point clearly. At this stage I don't have the value of the equation of the function.
Polynomials can be divided. This means for two polynomials ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## we can find polynomials ##q(x)## and ##r(x)## such that ##f(x)=q(x)\cdot g(x) + r(x)## with ##\deg r(x) < \deg g(x)##. Now insert ##a## in this equation with ##f(a)=0## and a suitable ##g(x)##.

tnich said:
That's right. They are the roots of the equation, the values of x at which f(x) = 0. So if f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c), then . . . ?
Will ##(x-a)##= ##(x-5)## and ##(x-b)##= ##(x-2)## and then ##(x-c)##= ##(x+4)##
And then factorised out to form an equation is x3+4x2-2x2-8x-5x2-20x?

Physiona said:
Will ##(x-a)##= ##(x-5)## and ##(x-b)##= ##(x-2)## and then ##(x-c)##= ##(x+4)##
And then factorised out to form an equation is x3+4x2-2x2-8x-5x2-20x?
Not quite. You have a sign wrong in one of the factors.

tnich said:
Not quite. You have a sign wrong in one of the factors.
Is ##(x+4)##, ##(x-4)##? Is that the error?

Physiona said:
Is ##(x+4)##, ##(x-4)##? Is that the error?
Nope.

tnich said:
Nope.
That is one error, but you have similar errors in the other factors. If a = -2, what is (x-a)?

tnich said:
That is one error, but you have similar errors in the other factors. If a = -2, what is (x-a)?
Oh, hang on. Is it ##(x+2)## (because (x-(-2)) makes x+2..
And ##(x+5)##, and then ##(x-4)##?
Is this right?

Physiona said:
Is this right?
Yes, that's right. Think about what it means to say f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c). If x = a, what can you say about f(x)?

Physiona said:
Is this right?

You tell us!

Will ##f(x)## be ##f(-2)##? as under this circumstance, ##a=-2##..

Physiona said:
Will ##f(x)## be ##f(-2)##? as under this circumstance, ##a=-2##..
That's true, but not what I was getting at. If f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) and you substitute a for x in the equation, what answer do you get?

tnich said:
That's true, but not what I was getting at. If f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) and you substitute a for x in the equation, what answer do you get?
Will I have to substitute ##a=-2## in all of the polynomial do for x?
I.e. ##(x-b)## ---> ##(-2+5)##?
And then multiply them all out? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not sure.

Physiona said:
Will I have to substitute ##a=-2## in all of the polynomial do for x?
I.e. ##(x-b)## ---> ##(-2+5)##?
And then multiply them all out? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not sure.
That is the basic idea, but try it and I think you will quickly see a shortcut.

And when you get your arithmetic all settled out, don't forget you are also given ##f(0) = -40## in the picture.

Likes Physiona
tnich said:
That is the basic idea, but try it and I think you will quickly see a shortcut.
I get ##(-2+2)(-2+5)(-2-4)##
When I multiply it out I get zero for one set ---> ##(-2+2)(-2+5)## =0.
They all cancel out to zero. Meaning ##x## is zero..?
P.S: does ##y= f(x)## represent the y intercept by any chance? So ##f(0) = -40##?

The final equation I get is x3+3x2-18x-40

You started with f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c). Then you set x = a, so you substituted a for x in the equation to give you f(a) = (a-a)(a-b)(a-c) = 0. You can see that if you set x = a or b or c, you will get the same result. The point is, if you know what values make a polynomial equal to zero (the roots), you can write the polynomial.

Likes Physiona
Physiona said:
The final equation I get is ##x3+3x2-18x-40##
That's right.

tnich said:
You started with f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c). Then you set x = a, so you substituted a for x in the equation to give you f(a) = (a-a)(a-b)(a-c) = 0. You can see that if you set x = a or b or c, you will get the same result. The point is, if you know what values make a polynomial equal to zero (the roots), you can write the polynomial.
Right that makes sense now. Thank you.

tnich said:
That's right.
I have another question if that's okay to ask? It's not based on the same topic though..

tnich said:
He should have started with ##k(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)## with ##k## unknown. It was just luck he got ##f(0)=-40##.

Physiona said:
I have another question if that's okay to ask? It's not based on the same topic though..
No. Start a new topic.

LCKurtz said:
He should have started with ##k(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)## with ##k## unknown. It was just luck he got ##f(0)=-40##.
Erm, are you talking about me? I'm a female and I've finished the problem thank you very much. I know where I went wrong and my mistakes, and yes I did intend to do that method at the start just didn't post it on here as I was looking for an alternative to quickly approach if, so it wasn't luck. Thank you either way. :smile:

You're welcome. Sorry, hard to tell gender on these boards. Truth is, I don't know whether Physonia is a proper name in the first place, or, if it is, whether male or female.

Thread moved, as this is really a precalculus type question.
Also, @Physiona, please stop deleting the homework template.

What is a Functional Graphical Equation?

A Functional Graphical Equation is a mathematical representation of a relationship between two or more variables, where one variable is dependent on the other(s). It is typically graphed on a coordinate plane to visualize the relationship.

What is the difference between a Functional Graphical Equation and a regular Graphical Equation?

A regular Graphical Equation represents a relationship between two variables, where both variables are independent. In a Functional Graphical Equation, one variable is dependent on the other(s), creating a more complex relationship.

How do you graph a Functional Graphical Equation?

To graph a Functional Graphical Equation, you first need to identify the dependent and independent variables. Then, choose values for the independent variable and use the equation to calculate the corresponding values for the dependent variable. Plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them to create a line or curve.

What are some real-life applications of Functional Graphical Equations?

Functional Graphical Equations are commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering to model relationships between variables. They can be used to predict outcomes, analyze data, and make decisions based on the relationship between the variables.

Can Functional Graphical Equations be used for nonlinear relationships?

Yes, Functional Graphical Equations can represent both linear and nonlinear relationships between variables. Nonlinear relationships can be identified by a curved line on the graph, while linear relationships have a straight line.