What is the functional integral theorem for polynomial times Gaussian integrals?

In summary, Sidney Coleman's QFT lectures discuss a finite-dimensional integral of a Gaussian function and a polynomial, and the result of the latter is a polynomial with a negative derivative. He claims this is related to differentiating under the integration sign, but provides no explanation of how. Google is providing bits and pieces of information, but they are not enough to make a complete picture. Zee's QFT textbook covers this topic in more detail, and provides the final equation for the case where P has an infinite Taylor expansion.
Chopin
I've been watching Sidney Coleman's QFT lectures (http://www.physics.harvard.edu/about/Phys253.html). I've gotten up to his discussion of functional integration, and I have some questions.

He starts out by discussing a finite-dimensional integral of a Gaussian function: [itex]\int{\frac{d^n x}{(2\pi)^{n/2}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}xAx}} = (det A)^{-1/2}[/itex], where [itex]x[/itex] is an n-dimensional vector, and [itex]A[/itex] an n-dimensional symmetric matrix. So far, that makes sense--if you diagonalize [itex]A[/itex], it just turns into the product of [itex]n[/itex] Gaussian integrals. He then goes on to discuss the integral of a polynomial times a Gaussian, [itex]\int{\frac{d^n x}{(2\pi)^{n/2}}P(x)e^{-\frac{1}{2}xAx}}[/itex], where [itex]P(x)[/itex] is a polynomial. Seemingly out of nowhere, he gives the result of this integral as [itex]P(-\frac{\partial}{\partial b})(det A)^{-1/2}[/itex]. I have absolutely no idea where this comes from.

Google is turning up bits and pieces of information on this, but nothing I can make a complete picture out of. The best I've been able to work out is that it's in some way related to differentiating under the integration sign, but I can't quite put the pieces together. This is clearly going to become important in the subsequent sections, where we're going to go on to develop the path integral formulation of QFT, so I'd really like to figure this out. Can anybody shed any light on how this works?

Physics news on Phys.org
Near as I can tell, there are some missing pieces to the formula you wrote. Perhaps these were not copied correctly in the notes?

The general expressions is [tex]
f(A,b) = \int \frac{d^n x}{(2\pi)^{n/2}} \exp{\left(-\frac{x A x}{2} + b x\right)} = \left(\det{A}\right)^{-1/2} \exp{\left(\frac{b A^{-1} b}{2}\right)}.
[/tex]
The final equality follows by completing the square under the integral and then shifting the integration variable. Now assuming that you can exchange integration and differentiation you can write

[tex]
\int \frac{d^n x}{(2\pi)^{n/2}} x^k \exp{\left(-\frac{x A x}{2}\right)} = \int \frac{d^n x}{(2\pi)^{n/2}} \left[\frac{\partial^k}{\partial b^k} \exp{\left(-\frac{x A x}{2}+bx\right)}\right]_{b=0} = \left[\frac{\partial^k}{\partial b^k} f(A,b) \right]_{b=0}.
[/tex]
The expression for general P then follows from the Taylor expansion of P. There is some indexology that I have left schematic, but let me know if you have trouble working it out. Also, note that if P has an infinite Taylor expansion then the exchange of summation and integration may not be valid i.e. one could use P(d/db) inside the integral but not outside it.

Last edited:
Ahh, that's where the [itex]b[/itex] comes from. Yeah, he added a linear term earlier on in the lecture when discussing the integral of a generalized Gaussian, but by the time we got to this point, he'd absorbed everything into a general quadratic form [itex]e^{-Q(x)}[/itex], so I didn't realize that was the [itex]b[/itex] we were talking about. I didn't include it in my initial description because I didn't realize it was relevant, but now I see what's going on.

Physics Monkey said:
Also, note that if P has an infinite Taylor expansion then the exchange of summation and integration may not be valid i.e. one could use P(d/db) inside the integral but not outside it.
[itex]P(x)[/itex] is given as being a finite-order polynomial, so I can say with reasonable certainty that its Taylor expansion terminates. :smile:

Thank you very much--this makes perfect sense now.

1. What is the functional integral theorem?

The functional integral theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows for the calculation of integrals over infinite-dimensional spaces, such as function spaces. It is a powerful tool in theoretical physics and has applications in fields such as quantum field theory and statistical mechanics.

2. How is the functional integral theorem different from regular integrals?

The functional integral theorem is different from regular integrals because it deals with integrals over infinite-dimensional spaces, as opposed to finite-dimensional spaces. This requires the use of specialized techniques and mathematical tools, such as the Feynman path integral, to solve them.

3. What are some applications of the functional integral theorem?

The functional integral theorem has a wide range of applications in theoretical physics, including quantum field theory, statistical mechanics, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in other fields such as economics, biology, and finance to model complex systems.

4. Is the functional integral theorem difficult to understand?

The functional integral theorem can be challenging to understand because it deals with complex mathematical concepts and techniques. However, with a strong foundation in mathematics and theoretical physics, it can be comprehended and applied effectively.

5. Are there any limitations to the functional integral theorem?

Like any mathematical theorem, the functional integral theorem has certain limitations. It may not be applicable to all types of integrals and may require simplifying assumptions to be made in certain cases. Additionally, it may be difficult to solve analytically, and numerical methods may be required.