1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional relevance?

1. Oct 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    theres a table x - 1;2;3;u;u;u;u;8
    y - 370;160;90;u;24;u;u;u u - unknown value
    i have to complete this table with this equation y=(k/x)+b you have to find k and b values
    2. Relevant equations
    y=(k/x)+b x is relevant to y x -1 is y -370 and x-2 is y-160 and so on

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried doing this witha calculator adding all kinds of numbers but with no progress :(.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are the 4 u-values in x all the same---a single unknown number---or are they 4 unknown numbers? Are the 3 u-values in y the same or different? Are the u's for x the same or different from the u's for y? Do you want an exact fit, or do you want a "best" fit, such a least-squares fit or something similar?

4. Oct 5, 2016 #3
    the ones in y are different, but i believe that the ones in x might be the same, because 1;2;3 right and the last is 8 not any other number. oh and yea i guess its exact fit if yu mean like 2 or 3 not 2,5 or 3,5

5. Oct 5, 2016 #4
    I just figured out something but im not sure, if k is 420 and b is -50 then it goes correctly by the table but it gets wrong at the 24, because 420/5 -50 is 34 not 24. Can it be a mistake in the table or is there smth im mistaken in ?

6. Oct 5, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What makes you think x is 5 there?

7. Oct 5, 2016 #6
    Well its mostly because the x-8 is in the end so i thought that the missing x'es were [4;7], but now i think it might not be true because the results dont match. I dont want to believe that theres a mistake in the table tho. I also thought that why are the x'es unknown if it were from 1 to 8, so i think there is some kind of secret or something that i do not know

8. Oct 5, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just drop the assumption that the missing x values are in arithmetic progression. The first three entries in the table are enough to find k and b. Thereafter it is just a matter of calculting the unknown number (x or y) from the known one.

By the way, the easiest way to find k and b is to consider the product xy. This should equal k+bx, so you can do a straight line fit.

9. Oct 5, 2016 #8
    so k is 420 and b is -50, the first 3 entries agree with me on this one, but i am not fluid in mathematics in english so i cant understand what you mean, do you mean xy=k+bx, sorry, and also do you think the number 24 fits in the table or is it a mistake ?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  10. Oct 5, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.
    Yes.

11. Oct 5, 2016 #10
    so, by my calculations x5 = 5.68 ?

12. Oct 5, 2016 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

13. Oct 5, 2016 #12

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well that's close. ##\ \frac{210}{37}=5\frac{25}{37}\ .##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted