Find Unknown Values in Table | Functional Relevance Homework

• Thread starter Gustavs1337
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary: Just drop the assumption that the missing x values are in arithmetic progression. The first three entries in the table are enough to find k and b. Thereafter it is just a matter of calculating the unknown number (x or y) from the known one.
Gustavs1337

Homework Statement

theres a table x - 1;2;3;u;u;u;u;8
y - 370;160;90;u;24;u;u;u u - unknown value
i have to complete this table with this equation y=(k/x)+b you have to find k and b values

Homework Equations

y=(k/x)+b x is relevant to y x -1 is y -370 and x-2 is y-160 and so on

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried doing this witha calculator adding all kinds of numbers but with no progress :(.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gustavs1337 said:

Homework Statement

theres a table x - 1;2;3;u;u;u;u;8
y - 370;160;90;u;24;u;u;u u - unknown value
i have to complete this table with this equation y=(k/x)+b you have to find k and b values

Homework Equations

y=(k/x)+b x is relevant to y x -1 is y -370 and x-2 is y-160 and so on

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried doing this witha calculator adding all kinds of numbers but with no progress :(.

Are the 4 u-values in x all the same---a single unknown number---or are they 4 unknown numbers? Are the 3 u-values in y the same or different? Are the u's for x the same or different from the u's for y? Do you want an exact fit, or do you want a "best" fit, such a least-squares fit or something similar?

Ray Vickson said:
Are the 4 u-values in x all the same---a single unknown number---or are they 4 unknown numbers? Are the 3 u-values in y the same or different? Are the u's for x the same or different from the u's for y? Do you want an exact fit, or do you want a "best" fit, such a least-squares fit or something similar?
the ones in y are different, but i believe that the ones in x might be the same, because 1;2;3 right and the last is 8 not any other number. oh and yea i guess its exact fit if yu mean like 2 or 3 not 2,5 or 3,5

I just figured out something but I am not sure, if k is 420 and b is -50 then it goes correctly by the table but it gets wrong at the 24, because 420/5 -50 is 34 not 24. Can it be a mistake in the table or is there smth I am mistaken in ?

Gustavs1337 said:
I just figured out something but I am not sure, if k is 420 and b is -50 then it goes correctly by the table but it gets wrong at the 24, because 420/5 -50 is 34 not 24. Can it be a mistake in the table or is there smth I am mistaken in ?
What makes you think x is 5 there?

haruspex said:
What makes you think x is 5 there?
Well its mostly because the x-8 is in the end so i thought that the missing x'es were [4;7], but now i think it might not be true because the results don't match. I don't want to believe that there's a mistake in the table tho. I also thought that why are the x'es unknown if it were from 1 to 8, so i think there is some kind of secret or something that i do not know

Gustavs1337 said:
Well its mostly because the x-8 is in the end so i thought that the missing x'es were [4;7], but now i think it might not be true because the results don't match. I don't want to believe that there's a mistake in the table tho. I also thought that why are the x'es unknown if it were from 1 to 8, so i think there is some kind of secret or something that i do not know
Just drop the assumption that the missing x values are in arithmetic progression. The first three entries in the table are enough to find k and b. Thereafter it is just a matter of calculating the unknown number (x or y) from the known one.

By the way, the easiest way to find k and b is to consider the product xy. This should equal k+bx, so you can do a straight line fit.

haruspex said:
Just drop the assumption that the missing x values are in arithmetic progression. The first three entries in the table are enough to find k and b. Thereafter it is just a matter of calculating the unknown number (x or y) from the known one.

By the way, the easiest way to find k and b is to consider the product xy. This should equal k+bx, so you can do a straight line fit.

so k is 420 and b is -50, the first 3 entries agree with me on this one, but i am not fluid in mathematics in english so i can't understand what you mean, do you mean xy=k+bx, sorry, and also do you think the number 24 fits in the table or is it a mistake ?

Last edited:
Gustavs1337 said:
do you mean xy=k+bx
Yes.
Gustavs1337 said:
do you think the number 24 fits in the table
Yes.

haruspex said:

haruspex said:
Yes.

Yes.
so, by my calculations x5 = 5.68 ?

Gustavs1337 said:
Yes.

Gustavs1337 said:
Well that's close. ##\ \frac{210}{37}=5\frac{25}{37}\ .##

1. How do I find unknown values in a table?

To find unknown values in a table, you need to look at the given data and use the information to solve for the missing values. This can be done through various methods such as using algebraic equations, using patterns, or using interpolation.

2. What is the purpose of finding unknown values in a table?

The purpose of finding unknown values in a table is to complete the missing information and gain a better understanding of the data. It also allows for further analysis and prediction based on the given data.

3. What are some tips for finding unknown values in a table?

Some tips for finding unknown values in a table include: looking for patterns in the data, using algebra to solve equations, using interpolation to estimate values, and checking your work for accuracy.

4. How can I use functional relevance to find unknown values in a table?

Functional relevance refers to the relationship between two variables. By understanding the functional relevance between variables in a table, you can use this information to solve for unknown values. For example, if two variables are directly proportional, you can use this relationship to find the missing values.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding unknown values in a table?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding unknown values in a table include: incorrectly interpreting the data, using the wrong formula or method to solve, and not checking your work for errors. It is important to carefully analyze the data and use the appropriate methods to ensure accuracy in your calculations.