Calculate (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x) for f(x) = 3x2-5

• Thread starter Loppyfoot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the given problem involves finding the difference quotient for the function f(x) = 3x^2 - 5. This is done by plugging in the appropriate variables (w, x, and h) into the given formula and simplifying. The answers given in the back of the textbook are 6x + 3h and 3w + 3x, but it is important to understand the algebraic steps involved in order to reach these solutions.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

Find (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x)
and
(f(x+h) - f(x)) / (h)
Simplify as much as possible. This section is a functions section, so I cannot take the derivative.

Homework Equations

f(x) = 3x2-5

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the w and the x? Also, what is the h? I have no idea where to begin. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are just variables that can really be substituted with any other letter. These are normally two ways of expressing the difference quotient in differential calculus. In this case, they usually represent average rate of change but all you have to do is plug in the appropriate variables into the function you are given.

In this case [itex]h = \Delta{x}[/itex] and [itex]w[/itex] is some value in the function's domain. Hopefully you know what the [itex]x[/itex] is there for. :)

The x, w, and h are just variables. In this case, they can be any real number, so we just represent them with letters. For example f(w)=3w2-5. The f is a function so it takes an input and gives an output based upon the input. You could write it as f(input)=3(input)2-5=output. Now you should be able to do the first one. For the second one, what does f(x+h) equal?

Also, you should recognize that these formulas are the same thing really. Let w=x+h (or h=w-x) and convince yourself of this fact.

The answers that are supplied in the back of the textbook are 6x+3h, and 3w+3x.

I am in no way getting these when I work them out. I need some guidance. Thanks...

It's just algebra! I already told you what f(w) is. I'll do part of the first one for you.
[tex]\frac{f(w)-f(x)}{w-x}=\frac{(3w^2-5)-(3x^2-5)}{w-x}=\frac{3w^2-5-3x^2+5}{w-x}=\frac{3(w^2-x^2)}{w-x}[/tex]
Now finish it using the difference of two squares.

For the second one, what is f(x+h)? I asked this in the last post, and you didn't give an answer. It is best on this forum to attempt to show what work you have done, otherwise people get the feeling you want them to do your homework for them. So please post what work you do if you get stuck again, not what the answers are in the back of the book. :)

1. What is the formula for calculating (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x) for a given function?

The formula for calculating (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x) for a given function is (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x) = (3w2-5 - (3x2-5)) / (w-x). This means that you need to plug in the values of w and x into the function and then subtract the resulting values, and finally divide by the difference between w and x.

2. How do I solve the expression (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x) for f(x) = 3x2-5?

To solve the expression (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x) for f(x) = 3x2-5, you will need to follow the steps in the formula above. First, you need to plug in the values of w and x into the function. Let's say you choose w = 5 and x = 3. So, (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x) = (3(5)2-5 - (3(3)2-5)) / (5-3) = (3(25)-5 - (3(9)-5)) / 2 = (75-5 - (27-5)) / 2 = (70-22) / 2 = 48 / 2 = 24.

3. Can I use this formula for any function?

Yes, this formula can be used for any function. As long as you know the function, you can plug in the values of w and x and solve for (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x).

4. What does the expression (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x) represent?

This expression represents the slope of the line between two points on a given function. The points are represented by the values of w and x, and the slope is the change in y (f(w) - f(x)) divided by the change in x (w-x).

5. Can this formula be used to find the average rate of change of a function?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the average rate of change of a function. The expression (f(w) - f(x)) / (w-x) represents the average rate of change between two points on a given function. This can be useful in determining the overall trend of a function and how it changes over a specific interval.