1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functions and Realtions : Operation on Functions [Please Answer NOW. I need it today]

1. Jun 19, 2008 #1
    Functions and Relations : Operation on Functions [Please Answer NOW. I need it today]

I'm confused in these problems. I got some answer but i'm not sure of them. Please show the solutions.

Find the Sum, Difference, Product, Quotient of the following functions as indicated. Find the domain of the resulting function.

Given that:
    f(x) = 8 - x
    g(x) = 3x^2 - 2x + 5
    h(x) = 2/x "2 over x"

1. f(x) + g(x)

2. g(x) - h(x)

3. f(x) - h(x)

4. f(x) - g(x) + f(x)

5. g(x) [f(x) + h(x)]

6. f(x) - g(x) / h(x) "f(x) - g(x) over h(x)"

This is my Solution:

for number 1.

8-x plus 3x^2 - 2x + 5

is equal to 3x^2-10+4 is that correct?

for number 2.

3x^2 - 2x + 5 minus 8 - x.
    my answer is 3x^2-10+5x..

for number 3.

8-x over 1 minus 2 over x = ???.. i don't have answer, i dunno how..

for number 4-5

i haven't answered it. same reason, i do not know. my teacher just teach us the basic but not the complex one. please help me..

or just e-mail me at evilreaper25@yahoo.com.

i have to go. i'm expecting to your reply by e-mail, i'll logged my e-mail to my Phone's Web to check.. thanks
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to show some work before we can help you. Please read the PF guidelines, specifically those regarding seeking homework help.

I'm moving this to the precalc maths HW forum.
  4. Jun 19, 2008 #3
    That's incorrect. Combine liked terms.

First, you subtracted the wrong functions. Also, you have to use the distributive property for the negative sign. Again, combine liked terms.

Add/Subtract fractions.

Everything else is straightforward. Just combine liked terms.

One more thing: try not to do your homework at the very last minute.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?