Determining Independent and Dependent Variables in Calculus

• Thread starter crono_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, in calculus, two variables can be dependent or independent depending on how you view the question.
crono_
Calculus is quite new to me, so I think I'm starting from scratch and might be in over my head. Forgive my basic knowledge...

When considering two variables, how does one know which one is the independent or dependent variable?

For instance - The area A of a circle depends on the radius r of the circle.

Okay, it clearly states that A is dependent on r. But can you not also say that r is dependent on A?

If you have a bigger radius then you'll have a bigger area. But vice versa, if you have a bigger area than then don't you automatically get a bigger radius? Doesn't this mean that they can both be considered the dependent or independent variable depending on how you view the question?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi crono_! :smile:
crono_ said:
When considering two variables, how does one know which one is the independent or dependent variable?

Doesn't this mean that they can both be considered the dependent or independent variable depending on how you view the question?

Yes!

You'll find soon that if y is a function of x, then you can differentiate and get dy/dx, but that's also 1/(dx/dy), the derivative of x as a function of y.

(btw, I'm not sure where you got "independent" or "dependent" from, for one variable … there's not much point in a variable unless something depends on it, is there? :wink: … of course, if there's two or more variables, they can be independent or dependent of each other)

Okay, thanks. That kind of helps to clear things up. Though I'm going to have to adjust to using calculus lingo. :)

The dependent & independent terms came from the textbook:

A symbol that represents an arbitrary number in the domain of a function f is called an independent variable.

A symbol that represents a number in the range of f is called a dependent variable.

That sort of seems straightforward, but my brain tells me that, depending on how you interpret the question, either of the two given variables could be dependent or independent.

The cost C of mailing a first-class letter depends on the weight w of the letter.

So, given the weight you can determine the cost. But, coming from the other direction, if you're given the cost then you can use that to determine the weight.

This is going to be a long term!

crono_ said:
The dependent & independent terms came from the textbook:

A symbol that represents an arbitrary number in the domain of a function f is called an independent variable.

A symbol that represents a number in the range of f is called a dependent variable.

Must say, that seems a bit daft to me. :confused:

And pointless. :rolleyes:

oh well …

tiny-tim said:
Must say, that seems a bit daft to me. :confused:

And pointless. :rolleyes:

oh well …

Comforting. haha :P

Well, thanks for the comments anyways. They're appreciated, and comical! :)

What is a function?

A function is a block of code that performs a specific task and can be reused multiple times in a program. It typically takes in input parameters and produces an output.

How do you define a function?

A function is defined using the keyword "function" followed by the function name, a pair of parentheses for parameters, and curly braces for the function body.

What is the difference between parameters and arguments?

Parameters are variables that are used as placeholders for the input values that a function will use. Arguments are the actual values that are passed into the function when it is called.

How do you call a function?

To call a function, you simply write the function name followed by a pair of parentheses with any necessary arguments inside. This will execute the code within the function and return any output.

Can a function return multiple values?

Yes, a function can return multiple values by using an array or object as the return value. These data structures can hold multiple values and be accessed individually.