1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functions composition

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find conformal function that maps ##D_1=\left \{ z;Re(z)>0,0<Im(z)<2\pi \right \}## on to ##D_2## where ##D_2## is unit disc.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I haven't got any problems with conformal mapping but I have huge problems with function composition and I would need some help here...

Firstly, ##f_1=e^z## maps from ##D_1## into unit disc without ##Re(z)>0## axis, so to this object I now apply ##f_2=\sqrt{z} ## which gives me upper half of unit disc (real exis not included!).

Now ##f_3=\frac{z+1}{1-z}## maps the upper unit disk into first quadrant. Applying ##f_4=z^2## extends my area on to upper half plane. Rotating it with ##f_5=ze^{-i\pi /2}## and again using Mobius transformation ##f_6=\frac{i-z}{z+i}## gives me that unit disk.

Now the question is of course what ##f=f_6\circ f_5\circ f_4\circ f_3\circ f_2\circ f_1##?

Does it even make any sense to do that?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

##f_1(1+i\pi)=e^{1+i\pi}=e^1 e^{i\pi}= -e## is not in the unit disc.

4. May 29, 2014 #3
    Of course not. It even doesn't have to be.

There is a typo in my original post. Instead of ##D_1=\left \{ z;Re(z)>0,0<Im(z)<2\pi \right \}## it is ##D_1=\left \{ z;Re(z)<0,0<Im(z)<2\pi \right \}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted